Disable System Restore - RegTweak

I've noticed alot of people using the reg tweak for disabling the System Restore option...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]

"DisableSR"=dword:00000001

But did you know that this only removes the access to the system restore, and does not stop your system from creating restore points, and that is the whole point of tweaking this for performance impact. Try addign these to stop windows from creating and scheduling restore points instead...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]

"RPSessionInterval"=dword:00000000

"RPGlobalInterval"=dword:00000000

"RPLifeInterval"=dword:00000000

"TimerInterval"=dword:00000000

Zero'ing these out should do the trick, and if you do turn SR back on, it will correct these figures automatically for you.

I do hope this is a good note to start on - this being my first post.

All the best (what a great place this is btw!)

Chris.

AKA Supertoast (don't ask!)

supertoast I think thats wrong

Ive studied this a lot and with my tweaking application I do it this way to disable on all drive's.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr]

"Start"=dword:00000004

;It is a sertvice so to disable

"ImagePath"=\SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\sr.sys << When its Disabled

otherwise it equals this>> System32\DRIVERS\sr.sys

Yeah, I see - don't you hate it when you look so hard you miss the point.

I'm sure that would disable it too - but disabling the service is far simpler! :o)

Tell me though, what is the reason for the sr.sys movement?

Also should there be % symbols either side of systemroot or is it as it appears above?

One more thing, just for my education - if I changed the service dword value to 3, that would be 'manual' - so should an instance where the service is needed occur - it should flag up a message and allow it to be activated right?

Cheers,

Chris.

BTW if you want that to be immediate then you also can open a cmd prompt and issue these 2 things

NET STOP srservice

NET STOP sr

if I changed the service dword value to 3, that would be 'manual'
Yes thats manual but I am not sure if it would work unless an application called it. I haven't toyed with that.
Also should there be % symbols either side of systemroot or is it as it appears above?
Nope not that I see, done ran it twice

Personally I Don't disable it I only limit it, I set in my WinNT.sif

RestorePointLife = 7

days cause you should know whether something wrong within that time and it saves space, also

CheckpointCalendarFrequency = 1

day in between. System Restore does work and it can even be called from recovery console

Edited by maxXPsoft

Another thing if you wanted immediate results is you have to search through all drives and turn them off

This is not complete and may not work for you cause its within my app

Dim lDrives&, xZ&, i%, iMaxDrives%, sType$, sDriveLetter$, SRP, eSRP
Set SRP = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:SystemRestore")
lDrives = GetLogicalDrives()
   iMaxDrives = Int(Log(lDrives) / Log(2))
   For i = 0 To iMaxDrives
     sDriveLetter = Chr$(i + 65)
     xZ = GetDriveType(sDriveLetter & ":\")
     Select Case xZ
     If xZ = 3 Then
       eSRP = SRP.disable(sDriveLetter & ":\")
     End If
   Next i

OK, having tested some of the things above I discover that should a user try to reenable restore it won't start, neither will the service if you try to start it manually - says it started then stopped.

More interestingly, I have deleted the complete system restore tab from my computer properties for system restore - it's a gonna completely!!!

I did this by deleting the key "CreateFirstRunRp" from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore

Then you get no tab at all for it - lol what a stumble-find that was.

IMPORTANT

-------------

DisableSR ONLY REMOVES ACCESS TO SYSTEM RESTORE BY THE USER. IT DOES NOT STOP SYSTEM RESTORE FROM RUNNING!

What I want is to stop windows from creating restore points and turn off completely, until someone turns it on again through the tick box. DisableSR does not stop System Restore from running.

Any ideas?

Chris

Edited by supertoast

Infact, amongst other places (such as a microsoft technet paper I read once) here is another link that says the same

CLICKAGE

I wish to disable system restore for performance reasons, no extra disk accessing/writing, and no extra resource drain for the application itself. I don't want to simply remove access to System Restore using disablesr value.

Taaa

Perhaps you not reading this right.

stop windows from creating restore points and turn off completely, until someone turns it on again through the tick box.
What I do does exactly that.
DisableSR does not stop System Restore from running.
Lol its a combination of those things including turning the service off.

What I do is just like going in and checking disable for all drive's but its immediate and don't need to reboot.

Btw http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Q295299&sd=tech is what I used to disable all drives, I just made it do all instead of 1

sysrestore.PNG

Edited by maxXPsoft

Right I understand, one of the things I was getting at was how in all the guides and references on this site and others simply say...

Disable system restore - DisableSR 1

...obviously with the right reg location etc etc - but that's not true. What you are doing seems more like it though.

Do me a favour - I want to disable System Restore on all drives, and not have System restore doing anything in the background at all, no restore points created etc. What is the easiest way to do it - bearing in mind that your scripting is all scotchenese to me?

Chris

This is what I use, it works nicely. :D

REGEDIT4

;Turn Off System Restore
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr\Parameters]
"FirstRun"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\srservice]

When I tried Kishiro method and then turned it back on

SRerror.PNG

I don't get that using mine. When I set this up I wanted several things, disable it for all drives = WHY? cause that deletes all the Restore Points

Immediate Gratification without Reboot necessary = WHY? To visually see that it was off

[Windows Key] and [Pause] and then System Restore Tab

What happens when you untick the turn off tickbox? Does it moan?
Only with Kishiro method, not with mine
not have System restore doing anything in the background at all, no restore points created etc. What is the easiest way to do it - bearing in mind that your scripting is all scotchenese to me?
I'd have to work up something given time to do it. It just involves the above reg things by me and a simple script.

Personally I use System Restore because its gotten me out of a bind before but thats less these day's cause I recognize the crap before it happens to mess things up, I leave it running but limit the day's it keeps restore points which in turn limit's the HD space cause I know how to set it I also don't monitor anything but my system drive. It works and I am surprised that it does.

Edited by maxXPsoft

I have audio systems going out from my place here all the time which require uninterrupted disk access, and we wish to disable all system restore functions totally in the unattended phase, so it isn't a question of leaving it on for usefullness - it must be off.

At the same time we don't want the user to suffer by us breaking the system restore function so it cannot be reengaged.

I'm thinking of doing a registry snap before and after and comparing. Which key areas would I observe / not bother looking at?

Cheers

PS could you understand me pointing out the problem now to all those who may believe that simply altering the disablesr value does not turn off SR? Most people want to turn it off for performance reasons, not turn off access to it whilst it still does maintenance in the background - what's the point in that?