Svcpack.inf and RunOnceEx.cmd

First of all: sorry if this has been widely covered already... but i've read so many posts and guides that i'm pretty much confused now :blushing:

Question: the first post says

"MS WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 - (26) WITH Windows Media Player 10 & MSN Messenger 7 installed"

or

"MS WINDOWS 2000 PRO SP4 - (19) WITH IE 6 & WMP 9 & DirectX 9.0c & MSN Messenger 7 installed"

But, as far as i know, the most often chosen method is: Hotfixes in svcpack.inf (T13 stage); Applications in RunOnceEx.cmd (Final bootup). This way WMP10 would be installed AFTER his hotfixes (even worse fow Win2k, which doesn't even come with IE6). How can this work?

Thanks a lot :)

for windowx xp

I create a folder in i386 called update

and put all hotfixes etc in there (darn stupid wirless keyboard!! :) ) along with update.exe amd qchain. and make the svcpack.inf reflect this.

you can then create the following

\$OEM$\$1\install

and put stuff like directx, media player and ie6 install packages in this folder along with a batch file called main_batch.cmd (or anything you like really) as this is called from the winnt.sif file. This batch will be summit like below and will install the packages you want. You can of course use RunOnceX.

ECHO.

ECHO Installing MediaPlayer 9.0

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\MPSetupXP.exe /q

ECHO.

ECHO Installing DirectX 9.0b

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Directx9b\DirectX9\dxsetup.exe /windowsupdate

Remeber thought that the install folder gets copied to the harddrive.

Hope this helps

Edited by berrick

Thanks for your explanation :)

...but my question was different: if svcpack.inf is parsed during setup, and the entries in RunOnceEx are parsed after setup, we potentially have patches installed (svcpack.inf) before the relative applications are (RunOnceEx). This is expecially relevant for win2k setup, for which there are tons of hotfixes for IE6 and WMP9 that would be applied before IE6 and WMP9 are actually installed (if you install them via RunOnceEx), but the same happens for WinXP (with WMP10). What should i do in those cases? Thanks again :yes:

well you can install hotfixes etc during runoncex.....

also my understanding was that any patches etc that replace files for example ie6 would not be over written when you install that package later as the files in the package would be older than those already installed. The newer ones would be kept.

If im wrong please correct me :)

well you can install hotfixes etc during runoncex..... 

also my understanding was that any patches etc that replace files for example ie6 would not be over written when you install that package later as the files in the package would be older than those already installed. The newer ones would be kept.

If im wrong please correct me :)

I believe your correct. I update my cd source using the /integrate switch

and use a bat file called from runonceex for those that don't support it.

I install MP10 at the last part of runonceex. When i visit the windows

update it shows I'm up todate.

Are there a list of Hotfixes for XP POST SP2 (SP2 already integrated) that DO NOT support the /intergrate method?

No, I think there's only one or two, but I don't remember which ones.

****, I would like to know which ones...I would use Ryan VM's but i have had major issues with it so I have decided to integrate them myself...If anyone knows of the exceptions, please let me know either by posting here or PM'ing me. Thanks

Mh... maybe i'm missing out something, but from the main thread of this forum (Link) i can understand that:

KB890830 -› Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (v1.6)

Download -› 595 KB (July 12, 2005)

Switches: KB890830.exe /q (cannot use the /integrate; option)

and:
KB873374 -› Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool

Download -› 216 KB (September 21, 2004)

Switches: KB873374.exe /Q:A /R:N (HALT BOX)

import this registry setting instead:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

can't use /integrate... every other listed update uses /q /n /z switches, and i believe that they are all compatible with /integrate. Check that thread out ;)

Edited by paciuli

Mh... maybe i'm missing out something, but from the main thread of this forum (Link) i can understand that:
KB890830 -› Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (v1.6)

Download -› 595 KB (July 12, 2005)

Switches: KB890830.exe /q (cannot use the /integrate; option)

and:

KB873374 -› Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool

Download -› 216 KB (September 21, 2004)

Switches: KB873374.exe /Q:A /R:N (HALT BOX)

import this registry setting instead:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

can't use /integrate... every other listed update uses /q /n /z switches, and i believe that they are all compatible with /integrate. Check that post out ;)

Woah dude, I don't know how I missed that! Wow, I guess 99% of them support the /integrate method! awesome!