Windows hangs @applying computer settings

berrick

This my save a lot of time trying to figure whats wrong!

Symptom:

You reboot any version of windows, and it hangs at "applying computer settings". If a server everything works but you cant logon. You boot to safe mode, check the event logs and all is ok.

IF you are running APC's power chute older then v7 and this problem started around 27/07/2k5 then beleave it or not it is this most likely causing the issue.

Uninstall power chute or if unable, unistall java or disable the APC client server services and the system will boot normally and you'll be able to logon to the desktop. You'll then need to ensure you have java 1.4.1 installed at the latest version of power chute v7. Installation must be in the following order, agent, server, console and they must all have the same logon info.

http://www.apcc.com/tools/download/...704&id=125&tsk=

This definitely worked in my case, (was running 2k3 server APC power chute 6.2.2) :thumbup

Hmmmm! well when i was looking into this a lot of info pointed to this issue being a known problem that M$ are looking into.

Some other things that may help are:

problems with the tcp/ip stack

problems with ipsec - one suggestion here was to goto the ipsec services change something then click ok and the problem should be sorted.

Another was to Disable the Network Location Awareness Service

I cant vouche for any of the above as I knew our version of APC power chute was 6.2.2 and decided it was easier to boot to safe mode and un-install it first before trying the above. Thankfully in our case this was the solution.

Hope this might help

DOH! i also remeber reading that KB893066 caused the same issue but if memory serves i only read about it effecting XP but worth a try

Edited by berrick