PC hangs on reboot...

durex

So since my last reformat, Ive been experiencing a pretty annoying issue. Every time I goto reboot my PC, it takes about 30-60 seconds before it will shut down Windows. During the time which I choose to reboot and when it actually reboots I cant much else (such as run a program or open properties of a file, etc) as I recieve the error:

The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down

Im pretty sure Ive tracked the cause of issue down to my sound card drivers because when I uninstall them my PC reboot as it should. Im using a Soundblaster Audigy and Ive downloaded and uninstalled / re-installed the driver a good 5 times now and still have the same results.

Any one have a clue as to why this would suddenly be occuring and better yet, how the heck I can fix it??

Thanks a ton in advance!

question: before you reformatted the hd, did you use the same soundcard drivers?

....maybe an earlier set, have you verified what you have is the latest, etc?

Have you installed another s card to see if it's drivers are ok (meaning the pc shuts down ok and antother card works fine)?

Edited by jasinwa

creative hasnt updated their audigy drivers in like 2 years, so i know its the same drivers as before.

i havent swapped sound cards as I currently dont have an extra available.

until i get another card to test, any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply.

did u installed new anti virus?'coz usually it makes scan on the startup...try checking ur msconfig..on the startup tab..chack how many programs you have there and disable some unnecessary start up items...not sure but maybe this will help u!

oopss..sorry wrong page..hehe :blushing:

Edited by Dee dee's lab

Its definately not my antivirus and while I dont have a spare Sound Card to test with, I did pull the existing and let my pc boot up and restart a couple times without the issue happening at all.

This problem is becoming extremely annoying and any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!