harddrive partition help

ok i have a 160GB harddrive and in my computer it only shows 152. Where are the 8 GB's gone?

second, in partition magic it showed 8MB unallocated so i created that, it became Local Disk(F:), i want to make it 30GB's after i get my 8 GBs back

how do i do this?

same happened with my hdd, i had ~8mb too. in partition magic i just formatted that 8mb with ntfs and the same cluster size as my c: drive, then i just combined the 2 parts and it worked

Edited by ripken204

when you format HD ome data is used for the clusters and actually 8 gig is not that much out of 160. Every HD will lose some space due to being formatted. The bigger the HD the more space will be used for format.

Not to worry this is normal.

@rip but 8 gigs loss by formatting with NTFS it wudn't be that much rite?

i dont know what u mean? are u saying that 8 gig isnt much. if u want to get it back then do what i told u to, have u even tried yet?

but as a warning, that 8gigs is probably set as ur active drive so if u change it then u wont be able to boot into windows and u will have to reinstall it, thats what happened to me and i tried all night to try to fix it to make it boot right.

Edited by ripken204

:blink:

hello,

don't forget this, HDD manufacters use 1000 bts for 1Mbts and 1000 Mbts for 1Gbts(it better for Merchandising :realmad: ).

in fact, 1Mbts is 1024 bts and not 1000.

so, it exists a difference which is 7% . calculate yourself difference from bts to Gbts. you shall be horrified but it is the reality.

Have goods dreams.

I'm very sorry for you but it's life.

:no:

use a partition manager like 'partition magic' for example in order to reduce your partition (C:) and increase avaible space.

in these posts, it should be have confusion between 8Mo and 8 Go.

Your 8Go disappeared is normal (1000 against 1024).

Your 8Mo avaible partition is due to windows partition manager and can be modified but with another partition manager.

:}

ok so what do i click on in partition magic?

if someone could give me some instructions because im scared of doing things with my HD as i have bought over 3 HD's from doing things to them :P

i have a C: thats 152GB and a new F: drive that i made with unallocated space thats only 7.84MB

i want to make the F; bigger, to say about 30GB

Edited by hakeem5454

where is F: ? is it before C: or after

if its before then u need to right click on c: and click resize, then make it 30gigs, then merge it with F, but doing this will prolly require you to reinstall windows

if it is after then right click on c:, then resize, and make it like 140gigs then merge the left over with F:

but if i merge partitions wont it just make a folder in the (letter:\) (example merge F: with C: and it will make a folder called Local Disk(F:) in the C: partition)

i dont want that..

so ur saying if i resize the 152GB to 140 it will become 140GB or 30GB

im kinda confused, and im just making sure of what i do because i dont want to end up screwing something up

crap ur right about the merge, it does do that and its stupid

the only way to get it not to do that is to reformat the parts ur using, which is all of them

but if u resize the 152 to 140 then ur windows will be on the 140 and u will have 12gigs left over, but that 12 gigs will be located after the 140gigs

if u resize ur 152 to 12gigs, then ur windows will be on the 12 and u will have 152 gigs left over which is located after the 12 gig part

like i asked before, where is the f: located in terms of where c: is, on the left or on the right