How To Restart & Shutdown XP Fast ?

fabias

I can give u a registry that surely speeds up your shutdown a whole lot.

Works well with me.

Go to start then run then type regedit.exe to access the registry

Now go to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER

View the folders under this and then go to \Control Panel\Desktop

Here find AutoEndTasks and change from 0 to 1

To further improve the shutdown you can go to HungAppTimeout (under same folder)

and change to 4000.

Next you go to WaitToKillApp Timeout and change to 1000

This will improve your Shutdown speed significantly :thumbup

Concerning the faster boot up... I am also finding ways to speed up my boot. :wacko:

whilst there are many registry "hacks" that can be used to reduce both shut down and startup process, these are not good ideas. I believe the best way to reduce both shutdown and startup is by first of all checking the services that automatically startup and changing these to manual.

comparing windows to linux in the startup/shutdown process whilst a bit unfair considering the amount of services started in the linux process prior to gui loading is a good example of how quickly indeed windows does boot.

windows xp in particular does a fantastic job at boot time - l don't think it can really be betten. having said this perhaps your particular system does have an issue. did you system always start/shutdown slowly ?

THE FASTEST WAY to shutdown your pc: unplug the power cable :P.

the it runs on battery :D (have a notebook of course)

I would say to the theme: not to much programs running in the background (not much in the tray)

In that case, hold the power button down until the computer shuts off (works on notebooks and desktops)! ;)

However, this is of course, NOT RECOMMENDED!! Why? Because you might accidentally fry something in your case. :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

Hi

may be this old threat but there is way u can shutdown and restart computer very fast in win XP . i'm looking 4 way to make sh.cut for it but i can't find. any way for fast shutdown and restart

1.Press Ctrl+Alt+Del

2. in task manager click on Shutdown menu

3. while u hold Ctrl Key down Click on Restart or Shutdown

4. see how fast ur Win xp will Shutdown.

sorry i 'm week in english

ur's

S.0.N

Hi!

I have been using this for years. It only does shutdown.

Create a shortcut and in the "Target" part of its properties, paste the following text:

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0

In the "Start in:" part, paste this:

%windir%

Assign an icon to the shortcut that will remind you what it does.

It shuts the computer down normally, saving your changes, etc., but does not ask for confirmation.

So only use the shortcut when you really want to shut down.

If you place the shortcut in the quicklaunch toolbar, it only takes one click to shut down.

To restart, make another shortcut the same way, except change the "-s" in the code above to "-r"