New CPU Chip

Jeremy

Hi, I recently got a new CPU and its a INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0 E GHZ PROCESSOR S478 800FSB P4 1MB CACHE from NCIX.com. I thought it was identical to the P4 3.0 GHz CPU that came with my Dell Dimension 8300, but everytime I to boot Windows it says "Invalid Configuration Information, Please Run SETUP Again" and then "diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure". I unplugged all but my primary master drive and keyboard. When I try to press F2 to get into the BIOS, the PC won't give me the chance. It makes a few beeping sounds and gives that same error message. Please don't tell me my new CPU is incompatible with my Mobo...

Any ideas?

Edit - Oh, and is it normal for the heatsink to be so hot that you can't touch it?

Edited by Jeremy

well if your heatsink is extreamily hot then i will asume you havce a prescot core p4 in witch case your motherboard may not support it as it sounds like thats whats happening

also you may want to look for a new heatsink because apperently your current one is not good enough for the prescots increased heat output may i recomend a xp-90 or xp-90c heatsink these are very good ones i have the copper version and when i touch it it dosent even feel warm!

you may want to try a bios update to and see if theres a fix fothatsr your board otherwise you may need a new one

It's a Prescott..they tend to get really hot..especially if you are using stock cooler.

As for the compability issue, only thing I could think of is that you have a CPU with 1mbL2 Cache...from what I understand DELL are shipping the 8300 with a CPU with 512kbL2 Cache...DELL has allways some weird stuff implemented in their hardware...

Edited by Clint

spazmire11, yeah I think it's a Prescott. The CPU came with this better heatsink with a fan that's heavier but it won't fit on the socket with the support bracket that's currently in place.

Clint, I managed to get rid of the Invalid Config Info by switching IDE cables. I also managed to get rid of the diskette drive 0 seek failure" message by putting my floppy drive back in. However, I removed Floppy support with nLite and used to have floppy out. I guess with the new CPU maybe BIOS changes were made? However, Windows still won't boot. The BIOS load or whatever hangs at the very end and I still get 2 beeping sounds instead of 4, F2, F12 (Setup - BIOS, and Boot Options) don't work.

Any other ideas?

dell sucks! :realmad:

they have an 'dell' chip implanted on their mobo's where the fsb and so on is described!

i don't know exactly what is in the chip, only that the chip is the reason that you can't overclock any dell, so i guess that the originally cpu is described in the chip and more!

advice: buy an new mobo AND PSU, the separate parts of the dell can you use for a new to build computer.

also the psu, its, again, a dell psu wich you can not use in another computer!

actually its not a dell psu, as far as i know the only part of the computer that dell makes it the case, they just take parts from other companies and put it together

i warn you, YOU CAN'T CHANGE AN DELL PSU AGAINST ANOTHER BRAND!!

furtheron, dell order the mobo's, intel, confirm DELL'S SPECIFICATIONS!!

but if you will know it better...................., let me the know the results, in the meantime i will warn the fire-brigade for you!!!!!!!!

Edited by janjansen

so you have a prebuilt computer that you put the new proc in right?

if so the manufacturer may have used a proprietery cooling method, this would be bad the reason the hsf is so hot is because it is not to take all of that heat you havent fried your prescot tho since i belive there is thermal throughtaling on the chip however you NEED a better hsf since your current bracket dose not fit a new hsf i recomend you get a new hsf maybe a xp-90 its like 40 bucks and is a very nice hsf

however you may have other problems look for a bios update too this may help with any compatiblaty issues

Well, the Antec case came with a new PSU. I won't ever get a Northwood again since Intel discontinued them, and I don't think the new heatsink will fit in the support bracket. I could try, but I think I'm looking at a new mobo... so I'll be getting a part-time job soon and saving up for a DFI mobo. :thumbup

But really sucks my situation...

Uhm, BIOS doesn't load all the way and I put my hardware back to how I had it before the PC messed up and said "diskette drive 0 seek failure" so I put in the floppy and now no errors BUT it won't let me into Setup or anything. I press F2 on the keyboard but it beeps more. Is it because the CPU gets too hot?

If anyone knows any BIOS tricks let me know.

Edited by Jeremy

hope this helps

THE POST TEST

Each time the computer boots up the computer must past the POST. The following is the procedure of the POST:

1. The first step of POST is the testing of the Power Supply to ensure that it is turned on and that it releases its reset signal.

2. CPU must exit the reset status mode and thereafter be able to execute instructions.

3. BIOS must be have readable.

4. BIOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.

5. CMOS be accessible for reading.

6. CMOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.

7. CPU must be able to read all forms of memory such as the memory controller, memory bus, and memory module.

8. The first 64KB of memory must be operational and have the capability to be read and written to and from, and capable of containing the POST code.

9. I/O bus / controller must be accessible.

10. I/O bus must be able to write / read from the video subsystem and be able to read all video RAM..

If the computer does not pass any of the above tests your computer will receive an irregular POST. An irregular POST is a beep code which is different from the standard which can be either no beeps at all or a combination of different beeps indicating what is causing the computer not to past the POST.

INDEX

Category:

BIOS

Companies:

None

Related Pages:

AMI BIOS

Phoenix BIOS

RESOLVED

Were you able to locate the answer to your questions?

Yes

No

AMI BIOS BEEP CODES

The following are AMI BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code Descriptions

1 short DRAM refresh failure

2 short Parity circuit failure

3 short Base 64K RAM failure

4 short System timer failure

5 short Process failure

6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error

7 short Virtual mode exception error

8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure

9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure

10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error

11 short Cache Memory error

1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure

1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

AWARD BIOS BEEP CODES

The following are Award BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code Description

1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information

Any other beep(s) RAM problem.

If any other correctable hardware issues the BIOS will display a message.

IBM BIOS

The following are IBM BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of models shipping with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code Description

No Beeps No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

1 Short Beep Normal POST, computer is ok.

2 Short Beep POST error, review screen for error code.

Continuous Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

Repeating Short Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

One Long and one Short Beep Motherboard issue.

One Long and Two short Beeps Video (Mono/CGA Display Circuitry) issue.

One Long and Three Short Beeps. Video (EGA) Display Circuitry.

Three Long Beeps Keyboard / Keyboard card error.

One Beep, Blank or Incorrect Display Video Display Circucuit

2 Beeps: Parity circuit failure

Explanation: The parity circuit is responsible for generating and checking the parity bit on the system memory when parity checking is used. This circuitry is not working properly.

Diagnosis: This code usually means a problem with either the system memory or the motherboard.