Powerup Problems

MajikUF

This issue is really bugging me. I bought a new SATA drive (Seagate 250gb ST3250823AS) to replace my Seagate SATA 120gb drive. When I connect the new drive using the exact same SATA drive and power cable, the computer won't turn on. (Seems like a short)

Frustrated, I took my hard drive into work and connected it to my machine and it booted up perfectly the first time. I ran diags on it and everything was fine.

Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe my powersupply, but its a 400W, it should easily run all of this.

I am running the following hardware:

AMD XP 3000 running at 400MHZ

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (Revision 2.0 running bios 1005)

1gb memory

400W power supply

See above hard drive

I've tried changing all of the cables with no luck. I plugged the 120gb drive back in and the machine boots up perfectly. If I didn't put the old drive back and the fact that it worked perfectly on my work machine, I'd think I had a bad drive. Maybe the hardware is just too old.

ANY ideas appreciated since I'm out.

-M

try to conect that drive on your second sata channel and boot from 120 one. other idea is to update your mainboard bios cause maybe it does not support your new drive...

Edited by boooggy

Even if I don't connect the SATA drive to the data cable, the machine still doesn't boot up. I downloaded the firmware to upgrade to 1008 and I will try that. Another suggestion given to me is that the powersupply may be shot. I'll upgrade the mb bios and see if that makes a difference.

Now... I have to find something that will boot up since I never installed a FD in this machine. :P

-M