2 different installations, the same problem (?)

Hi

I am working on 2 different installations of WinXP for 2 different user requirements

1)User 1 needs a semi-unattended installation of XP with SP2 ENG and any post-SP2 hotfix installed plus some programs for everyday use (winrar, acrobat reader, wmp10, etc).

What do i mean with semi-unattended?

He wants to provide his own username, password, administrator password, computer name BUT he doesn't want to enter all the other stuff every time he has to setup his pc

from scatch (product key, timezone, regional settings...)

So i have made a winnt.sif that "hides" the above options from the user but at the same time it lets him provide his own.This is done using the UnattendMode=DefaultHide parameter in winnt.sif.

Everything works like it is supposed to but

a) it requests the cd-key, although it is provided in winnt.sif and it is valid!!!

b) it propmts for Automatic Updates although i have entered AutomaticUpdates="Yes"

c) it does NOT copy the $oem$ folder and its subfolders to the disk although i have entered OemPreinstall=Yes, so the programs are not installed at startup!!

2)User 2 needs a fully unattended installation of XP with SP1 (NOT SP2) ,both of them in Greek,and some other programs.So I provide all the answers in the winnt.sif and use UnattendMode=FullUnattended and I use WPI at the end for the installations

When the installation begins I get the error message shown at the attached image.

(It is in Greek so my translation will be as accurate as possible)

System Installation Log - (C:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log)

Error:

The signature for the Windows XP Professional Installation Program is not valid.The error code is 800b0100

There was no signature an the subject

An unrecoverable error has occured:

The Installation program did not have the ability to install the program folders (or catalogs?).This error is unrecoverable.The installation record files should contain more information

I don't know if it helps but I have set DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

and I have a winnt.bat in the i386 folder of this installation( the SP2 one doesn't have one)

Both winnt.sif files were made with the relevant program.

The SP1 GR was made with setupmgr.exe from SP1-supporttools-ELL (greek)

and the SP2 with setupmgr.exe from SP2-supporttools-EN

ANY TYPE of help will be appreciated

Thank you in advance

post-60732-1123242592_thumb.jpg

I dont know if this will solve your problem,

but its worth a try.

I've had similar issues in the past and tracked it to

syssetup.dl_ (syssetup.dll) having been modified or replaced.

Hunt down an older version and replace your current version.

Shark

Edited by Shark007

It sounds like your winnt.sif is not even being read @ all in setup. Could you post your winnt.sif (remember to take out your CDKEY) and perhaps maybe your directory structure for your dvd / cd.

Hi again

First of all, excuse me for the delay but I had some problem with my internet connection

Now, regarding project 1, I did three MAJOR mistakes

i)I mistyped the cdkey!!!! I know it sounds the most stupid thing to do,but I replaced an R for a Q and it worked!

ii)I re-set the AutomaticUpdates section from "Yes" to "1" and it worked!!

iii)The $oem$ folder: Inside the guide it says it should be parallel to the i386 folder but inside ref.chm it says it has to be INSIDE it.I followed Microsoft's instructions! That's why it didn't work

Now,everything works like its supposed to.

I have tried using FullUnattended and omit the entries i want blank.It doesn'n work, setupmgr won't leave me move to the next page unless I have finished the previous.

Project 2

After googling it a bit, I found that the same exact error occurs from corrupt media!

But since I am not using an actual cdrom but an iso for the Virtual PC,what could have caused it?

I am thinking of slipstreaming SP1a over the existing SP1, just in case something changes.Btw where can i find the file mentioned (syssetup.dll)?

Thank you all for your help and suggestions

If you still want to have a look at my winnt.sif, here it is.(from the SP1 Project)

All the stuff below [Networking] is there in order to remove the NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Just for more security online

winnt.txt

Edited by jim-p