Running XP installation from USB stick

Yagermeister

Hello all,

My question is if its possible to run the windows xp install from usb stick. Since the unattended cd's are always taking lots of time to update it would be nice if its possible to use a usb stick to install.

I tryed looking on google but the only things i can find is to make the usb stick boot dos, winpe or if its possible to make multi boot usb stick but nowhere is there any information howto make a single windows xp installation from usb stick.

thanks for the help

I recall a useful site Langalist or something which covers just that

USB Boot article

hope that the link helps.

:thumbup

Tnx for the site but all it covers there is what i have found myself aswell :P. What i am precise am looking for is a way to get the windows installation cd on the usb stick itself and be able to boot from it aswell to install windows. :blushing:

It links to US department of defence :huh:

Copied the link a other way and i have the thread you mean. I might found some stuff i can use there. Tnx for the link. If anyone else has something i could use plz help

Edited by Yagermeister

:blink: Did it to me also. :blink: Went back and redid the link and that corrected it. The only difference was that I gave the link a name, 'link'. <shrug>

DL

P.S. Clicking on the link in your window still takes you to the US military defense sight. :thumbup

Edited by DL

I used the above link to get a bit further, since i am able to get the setup screen using the BartPE bootfiles. But when it enters the setup it says txtsetup.inf is missing or damaged status 18. Does anyone have a idea howto solve this? I already tried by copying over the normal I386 dir over to the stick or to use cdimage pro to make the iso but its still the same.

i don't recall reading that anyone has succeeded in doing what you are trying. you might as well trying installing xp from a paddle-pop stick for all the success you are gonna have. give up now, your country needs you

Edited by Saraband