New Games

Jlo555

Everyone should just put Link21 on the Ignore list, though I imagine that wont stop from seeing his posts. Everytime I see one of his posts in this forum its the same rehashed s***. 98sucks, NT is better blah blah blah blah blah.

Personally I've just stopped reading his posts.

Where there is a will there is a way.

There will always be poeple running windows 98 on all systems. If it isn't possible it will be made possible by the large community of windows 98 users. Games even if written only for '2k/xp' will eventually be modified to work on win9x very shortly after it's release providing the fanbase of both the game(s) and the unsupported os (supposedly) have a big enough strive to do it. That strive is very often there in excessive quantities. The MSN forums here and the development of windows98 and linux for example are all great examples of that.

You can try and run it on anything you want, but the question is, will it always suceed? There are no 9X drivers for the latest chipsets and video cards. Sure you can installk it, but how will you be able to utilize them if there are no drivers?

As for games written for 2K/XP only, it will depend on the game and why it won't install on Windows 98 to determine whether it is possible or not to modify it to make it work on Wndows 98.

This is not a flame or a bashing of 9X, but rather a quation as to how the community will be able to do it for the latest hardware (chipsets and video cards) if there are no 9X drivers for them? Can it be done?

To be honest, I have no idea what us win98 users will do once all support for hardware is cut off. It is inaccurate to state that there's no chipset driver support for windows 98 anymore, because I just bought an Abit motherboard, which all the drivers for Win98/Me/2000/XP (that includes Win98 Gold as well.) Also, most of the new drivers for chipsets for older OS's, even win2k, suck, and for win98, the drivers REALLY suck. IMO, most of the "support" is already gone. The only reliable support for win98/Me is THIS forum, really.

To be honest, I have no idea what us win98 users will do once all support for hardware is cut off. It is inaccurate to state that there's no chipset driver support for windows 98 anymore, because I just bought an Abit motherboard, which all the drivers for Win98/Me/2000/XP (that includes Win98 Gold as well.) Also, most of the new drivers for chipsets for older OS's, even win2k, suck, and for win98, the drivers REALLY suck. IMO, most of the "support" is already gone. The only reliable support for win98/Me is THIS forum, really.

I meant no chipset drivers for the newest and latest chipsets like the NVIDIA NForce 4 and Intel 9XX chipsets and above. There were Windows 98 drivers for the NVIDIA NForce 3 and below and the Intel 875P chipset and below. As for video cards, there were drivers all the way up to the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series video cards and the ATI Radeon 9800 series video cards (X300 maybe?). I think Windows 9X drivers stopped after those video cards? Correct me if I am wrong.

:wacko: link my man if i had a board with those cards etc of course i use xp to fully optimize my system but the way i see it alot of hardcore 98se users dont maybe lowend p3s a few p4s so i guess there never need drivers for cards they cant drive lack of ddr ram slots etc lol.But seriously if u run 98se same 4 2000 there are limitation roadbocks a few twist and turns.The piont is 2 get the most outta the system u have as mdgx says the neeeed for speed getting the last once of speed though tweaks patches etc.its not about beating the jones or being first on the block with vista its about making do.we cant all afford to update we dont all have a tech savy mind .What this forum and msfn as a whole offer is a remedy that average ham n egger can deal with.you use the os that best runs in your system period. I love this place ived learned so much a vast potpurri of knownlegde the programs tweaks are super .hell i remember my first time in here i found some logo 4 98 xp look and thought i hit paydirt never mind 98se2me sp 2.2 etc .telling people stop using 98se in a runabout way is pointless ask a 95 diehard lol or a w2k to switch ,fat chance.let enjoy the forum let contribute lets help the newbie out everyone in here has benefited in some small way dont u think. party on dude . long live 98se.......