Will Windows Vista run on a P3 1 Gig Processor?

mitchellovision

:hello: I've been reading up on Windows Vista for about a couple of weeks, but from what I've read on MSFN is Vista was supposed to run on contemorary high-speed machines. Would my Pentium 3 - 1 Gigahertz Processor compatible with it? Thnx! :thumbup

(P.S. I really want Windows Vista on my computer since it was "Codename Longhorn", but Longhorn was no-where near compatible with my comp, from what I've read.)

At present Vista is only in the early stage of Beta 1, and it's expected to arrive in late 2006. Conclusion: You will have plenty of time to upgrade your comp until the arrival of Vista.

Vista is supposed to depend more on the graphics card than previous versions of Windows. It will require a card with full DirectX 9 support.

MS states it will run on most new PC:s that you can buy today. It will probably run on your comp, but it will most likely be quite slow.

There is an article on MS TechNet which states some generic specs:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...t/hardware.mspx

If you would like to try it yourself you should try to get a beta, either by getting it from MS or borrowing it from a friend who has it.

From all thats been said about Vista it would appear it leans more on your graphics card than your CPU - thats what you should be concerned about (but you should still consider upgrading, my best advice would be to get a barebones package including a socket939 +PCIx motherboard - then drop in whatever components you deem economical)

These are the parts that make up my computer:

- ASUS TUV4X Motherboard with P3 1000 Mghz Processor Chip

- NVIDIA Geforce MX 440-SE (64 megabyte)

- Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (Digital Surround Sound) with two speakers and a subwoofer

- 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX) Ethernet Card

- Maxtor 4D040H2 Hard Drive (40 Gig)

- 10 megabyte router/modem with 12 set D-Link Hub (Can't remember the model id)

- stick of 512 megs of ram

@prathapml Thanks, man! :thumbup I just might try out the beta.

@biohead. Thanks for the info! :) You just convinced me to get the beta version immediatley :thumbup !

If anyone can tell me if BETA 1 of Vista expires, that would be absolutley wonderful.

Thank you all for helping me. I really appreciated it! :thumbup

Edited by mitchellovision

nlite is not working with vista and this is what nuhi said

Ok now I have looked at this new deployment method and I must say we might be the witness of the end of preinstall customization :(

Whole OS is already installed and files are only copied from DVD.

I can remove files, but the reg entries are already in...can't write decoder for windows registry files.

If nothing can be done I will at least make post-install removal option...but lets hope it's doable in preinstall...there is still hope but first got to update pre-vista support and wait for Beta2...this Beta1 looks same as XP with few useful functionality updates.

Edited by boooggy

@mitchellovision

I am not sure on my exact graphics chip as it isn't displayed in my device manager, but if you want to look on the internet the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4320. It was designed fore Windows 2000 so it is pretty old.

Mine works fine on a p3 1Ghz. Faster than i expected it to.

So go ahead and install away!

thanks. I will grab a copy from MSDN downloads. Thank- you all for hrlping me figure this out. I appreciated it very much! You guys are the best. :thumbup B)

interesting umm.. i tried to find to get a id sub because i am new this i am trying to get install for window vista.. could anyone help me how it work i cannot find anything i did click download thru msfn or on microsoft sites.. let me know pls asap

Thx :thumbup

Robert