Cant update office after slip. 2003 SP1+hotfixes

skeebum

Followed the Office 2003 SP1 + Hotfixes guide here. Excellent guide by the way. Used the disc I created a few times to install Office and it worked perfectly. No updates shown on Office update site.

Now, two months after creating the slipstreamed cd, a single update appears at the update site. The only problem is that since administrative updates were integrated into the disc, the update site wont allow the update to download stating:

NOTE: Detection shows that Office products on your computer have been updated by your Office product administrator from the administrative installation point on a server. This means that you should not update Office products yourself. If you are an Office product administrator, please visit the Office Resource Kit for more information.

and...

Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB895658)

You need the administrative version of this update due to previously installed administrative updates.

Does anyone know how to get around this? I would like to have the end user be able to update office as necessary.

Having scoured the web and the forums I havent found a solution to this problem.

Hopefully this is an issue that has not been covered before.

• 2 weeks later...

80-something views but nobody cares to comment? This forum seems pretty dead to replies when compared with the unattended windows guide. :hello:

It seems unlikely to me that nobody has encountered this before. The slipstream guide has been out for almost a year!

If anyone has experienced this please respond to let me know. If I am all alone, at least I will know that I am doing something wrong.

I read the post below by marek about slipstreaming SP1 + rebuild cd but there is still the use of administrative updates.

From what I understand only the admin versions of the updates can be slipstreamed, which is the reason they are used.

The error message however, is more of a cautionary note to normal users than anything else, warning that only a system admin should update that particular installation because it must detect that admin updates have been used.

All your have to do is simply download the admin versions of the updates which appear instead, since your obviously the person who created the slipstreamed office CD in the first place.

Simply visit http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=XXXXXX replacing the X's with the KB article number and download the admin version of that particular update. For example http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895658, which would provide details for 'Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB895658)' which you mentioned.

Scanning for updates via Microsoft Update doesn't display any error message so I can only assume that it downloads and installs the admin versions of the updates.

I hope this answers your question. :)

Edited by Cee-Kay

Thank you for the in-depth reply.

It would seem that Microsoft Update takes care of that concern. Forcing an automatic update resulted in the above mentioned update being displayed and updated, so you are correct in assuming that the Update site downloads the appropriate admin updates. A quick visit to the Office Update site showed no updates. The release of v6 could not have come at a better time.

• 1 month later...
It would seem that Microsoft Update takes care of that concern. Forcing an automatic update resulted in the above mentioned update being displayed and updated, so you are correct in assuming that the Update site downloads the appropriate admin updates. A quick visit to the Office Update site showed no updates. The release of v6 could not have come at a better time.

I am not quite shure if I already want to switch completly to Microsoft Update. If you install the Outlook Spam Filter Update manually (for example silently in the .MST File you use for installing Office unattended) instead of integrating it into your Office-Distribution, it will update via Office Update without complaining about needing the administrative update.

Did anybody experience this sort of problems with other Office-Updates than Outlook Spam Filter?

• 3 weeks later...

An easy way to avoid using administrative updates is to not slipstream the updates, but chain them to the install. Since MS has been bringing out SP's pretty often, this seems easier to me. You can create a silent install with the new SP2 and there is only one update after it, the junkmail filter. You can chain the SP2 and junkmail updates after the initial install and then updates work correctly. Search for chaining updates on MS website. I use this approach not only for Office 2003, but also Visio 2003 and Projet 2003, since we do many installs of these at my company. You can create a CD that runs automatically and you don't even have to make a single click and the SP is loaded. SIMPLE!!