XP SP2 hang while "registering components"

razvannh

I have created an nlited install kit from a Windows XP SP2 Corporate install disc with nLite 1.0 beta 5.

When it installs, it hangs during the "registering components", I have already attempted to install this a few times, I have even re-created the nlited install kit, the result is always the same, on my real PC and on vmware virtual machines.

After a console appears and disappears a couple of times, it hangs during the phase when it says registering components, but it doesn't finish the install at all.

[PRESET REMOVED]

LATE EDIT:

All of the install kits that I generated with nLite 1.0 beta 5 install very, very slow, I have waited for a complete Windows XP SP2 Corporate install about 2,5h on my Athlon XP Barton 2500+ with 1GB of RAM.

Edited by razvannh

razvannh,Tried before seeing your meessage and it was ok.

Well why did you remove hotfixes from preset.

Can you tell me which ones cause the issue and if you turn on Reports what it reports ?

WindowsXP-KB883939-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB893066-v2-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB896358-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB896422-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB901214-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB903235-x86-ENU.exe

RVMUpdatePack1.2.2Lite.cab

The hotfixes weren't in the preset, they were added when I made the nlited kit.

Well that may be the cause of the problem...if I understood correctly.

Do all at once...removal and hotfixes...than nlite patches few hotfixed files.

And use direct integration.

It was done all at once.

This is how I did it:

1. I made an nlited install kit (and I saved the preset, it didn't contain any hotfixes)

2. I wanted to make another nlited kit, but with those hotfixes, I loaded that preset and when I got to the integrate hotfixes page I also added the hotfixes ( so, every time I create an nlited install kit with hotfixes, I manually add the hotfixes in nlite, thats' why they didn't make it into the preset).

That means that the preset was created before and it did not include any hotfixes, not that the kit was nlited once and then updated!

I see you ment that I said all hotfixes at once ?

What I ment was do all at once, meaning make nlited install kit together with hotfixes all in one go...one processing, don't rerun nlite on same folder...this rule applies only in few situations, hotfixes are one.

I made 2 kits.

Both started with the original, clean, unmodified kit.

The first one had only the component removal and the rest of the preset.

The second, third, fourth, etc, time, I've started with the clean XP SP 2 kit and used the preset + updates on it.

It was done in one pass, each time, I didn't nlite one kit twice.

It's just that I didn't save those updates in the preset text file, I add them manually in nLite when I create an nlited kit.

P.S. : I made such kits with nLite 1.0b4 and earlier, there seems to be an issue with direct hotfix integration.

later edit: integrating XPize UAE together with RyanVM post sp2 update pack doesn't work in nLite 1.0b5 ( I haven't tried without RyanVM post sp2 update pack)

Edited by razvannh

I'm kinda sceptic with your reports.

Especially with last statement that Xpize and rvm doesn't work...while it works for everyone else.

What to say other than sorry and please report to us if you get same or similiar issue with next version (beta6), it has multiple fixes.

Don't know exact date.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem as with the one on the topic of this thread. My Xp Pro SP2 made nlite hangs totally

to registering components. I haven't integrated any of the hotfixes or any other special programs. I've only removed components that were not marked unsafe (red).

When running under VMWARE, it hangs at the same point. At that point, VMWARE blinks the cd-access icon and occasionally also ethernet icon.

I've attached my latest nlite config to this post for reference.

LAST_SESSION__205302.09_15.08.27_.INI

I tried again without any modifications, hotfixes or anything, as clean as a normal xp install can get run through nliteos, it still hangs at T-13. It seems as if nliteos is incompatible with Winxp pro sp2 (finnish) OEM. I used nliteos 1.3 RC2