unattended vista

found it ERROR: Image is 2061768704 bytes too large for 74-minute CD (681,984,000) (use -m to override or try -o to optimize storage)

-m allows you to do over the CD-R limit, works fine at that point. you are on a NTFS partition right?

Hey fizban,

I'll call you the visionary from now on! :thumbup This is exactly the error message I was getting. But why the heck MS does not explain this option in help file...? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Martin

which version on of the Oscdimg are you using? the one from the BDD doesn't seem to list the -m option when you /?, even though it is present

I'm using BDD 2007 V3.3 and the -m option isn't listed through oscdimg /? and it's not explained in helpfile/s of WSIM, but it's working.

I've just overread that you were using the -m option in your first post at page 4 of this thread.

I've picked up the oscdimg command from WSIM help - without the -m option. This is the reason I run in trouble.

The only problem I have for the moment is, that the integrated driver is not installed. I've posted a thread about that in TechNet...

Thanks fizban!

Martin

It's an Silicon Image 3112 SATA/RAID driver and I've integrated that driver into PE-Image (boot.wim) of the original RC1-DVD using peimg /inf command. It seems to be, that the driver is integrated correctly.

The driver does work, if I install it during running vista and I'm able to install it during Setup manually. But it won't be installed automatically during Setup.

Martin

Problem is solved partly. I'm still not able to integrate drivers into PE-Image and still don't know why.

But I'm able to integrate drivers into install.wim now. I've had integrated the drivers into the wrong subimage.

This Problem was caused by the confusing Setup Activity Log of Vista. I've taken the image number from there all the time which was 3 for Ultimate. But with ImageX you have to use Image number 4 for Ultimate Image.

Why the hell MS is using diffrent numbers for the same Image??? :crazy: It took me days to figure out :realmad:

BTW I'm lucky for the moment, cause the integration into install.wim is working for boot-critical and non-boot-critical devices.

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

To those that were [a while back] having problems with choosing the letter in the InstallFrom section of the answer file....

I found the easiest way is to remove it i.e....

change the code from:

<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallFrom>
<Path>x:\source\install.wim</Path>
</InstallFrom>
<InstallTo>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
</InstallTo>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>

to:

<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallTo>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
</InstallTo>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>

Sometimes the simplest way is the best way ;) You should only need to specify the source if it is in a different location to the original layout of the DVD ISO I believe.

I have it working using the answer file on a USB flash pen [although I imagine you may not be able to in all cases - to try it, ensure you have the USB pen plugged in when turning the PC on / booting], and just using the original DVD ISO from Connect - note I am using RC2 with this.

EDIT: Well, it seemed to work the first time hehe but you can definately use the answer file on a floppy disk inserted before booting the DVD.

You can also put the answer file on a floppy disc also, like with a XP UA CD.

Regards.

Nath.

Edited by tarquel

As i just implied from my edit, it did work initially, but for some reason, vista setup just ignored it after a while lol

Nothing to do with the answer file i dont think, as the same answer file worked fine on a floppy.

:)

Nath.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question.

Someone a while back said they were creating an unattended vista guide (in fact I think this thread was meant to stir public input into such). I have read all the posts here and I notice that Fitzban2 made a great first step on June 22 or page 4 of this thread. Is it possible to get something organized so that newbs like me (or worse :angel ) can get a crack at this. I realize there are some bugs still around but I'm asking this because I feel like getting something up to speed maybe even starting a PDF on it. So far I have been able to get Vista RC1 5600, BDD 2007, MMC 3.0 downloaded. I have also been able to make the unattended XML file. I just need to recreate my ISO and put it to the test.

I notice the the SIM has the capability to include software on the image. I'm curious if anyone has been able to include in their ISO any drivers and/or applications. If so, did the apps work for you.?

Also, what's the BDD workbench for? Why elements of it look similar to the WSIM?

Just a quick question.

Someone a while back said they were creating an unattended vista guide (in fact I think this thread was meant to stir public input into such). I have read all the posts here and I notice that Fitzban2 made a great first step on June 22 or page 4 of this thread. Is it possible to get something organized so that newbs like me (or worse :angel ) can get a crack at this. I realize there are some bugs still around but I'm asking this because I feel like getting something up to speed maybe even starting a PDF on it. So far I have been able to get Vista RC1 5600, BDD 2007, MMC 3.0 downloaded. I have also been able to make the unattended XML file. I just need to recreate my ISO and put it to the test.

I notice the the SIM has the capability to include software on the image. I'm curious if anyone has been able to include in their ISO any drivers and/or applications. If so, did the apps work for you.?

Also, what's the BDD workbench for? Why elements of it look similar to the WSIM?

Hopefully end of this week, early next week (based on when the BDD is released) i will have a new Unattend Document up and going based on RTM. Look for it here next week some time

Best Practices for Authoring Answer Files

This documentation is preliminary and subject to change.

This section covers recommendations for authoring unattended installation answer files.

Avoid Unnecessary SettingsUnnecessary settings can be introduced by inserting their parent node into the answer file.

Although unnecessary settings are ignored, they do cost time to parse. Therefore, as you author your answer file, remove any settings that are redundant.

For example, if you have set the desired partition in the disk configuration section of Microsoft-Windows-Setup, do not set <InstallToAvailablePartition>false</InstallToAvailablePartion>.

In general, it is best to expand down to the lowest level of a component and select only those elements that you want to set. If you want the default value, there is no need to include the element unless it is a required element.

Use Data Images Rather Than $OEM$The recommended way to add data such as additional drivers or applications is to add create a data image and set the DataImage settings in Microsoft-Windows-Setup for that image. For details on creating a data image, see Create a Data Image.

Although $OEM$ is still supported, it is no longer the preferred method.

Do not overwrite existing files in the OSImage settings. DataImage is used only to add files. You can use DataImage to add data to an existing partition outside the OSImage.

Always Validate Answer Files in Windows SIMThe recommended way to author answer files is to create them in Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM). However, if you use a manually authored answer file, validate it in Windows SIM to assure that it works.

Since available settings change from one build or release to the next, be sure to revalidate your answer file when you reuse it.

Legacy answer files from Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 do not work in Windows Vista.

I may have found one answer to my Q's