unattended vista

Okay guys I have created an unattend.xml file but I am not sure of such a simple thing like where to place it in the ISO. In XP it was winnt.sif in I386 but in Vista can somebody please tell where? :)

Thanks,

McoreD

ok figured it out

vista beta 1 only knows to take unattened from 2 places

floppy or if run from winpe setup /.... path to unattended file

currently putting the file on dvd doesnt work only from beta 2

and another thing

did you notice it doesnt have i386 folder

thats because it actually drops an image on your computer(install.wim) plus hardware detection:)

pretty cool and suposed to be faster too

Where did you get the info that putting the file in the dvd doesnt work in beta1 ? Im curious...i'm not saying i dont believe you...cause from what i read...doesnt mention the file in the dvd (only in floppy like you said) but i never read anything stating that was not possible.

hmm ok ;)

And for those who wish to get their hands dirty theres a guide in iexbeta to extract Winpe from the Windows Vista DVD...nicely done...and if you tumble down the rabbit hole deep enough, theres a awesome tool "Ximage" to mess around :P

• 5 weeks later...
ill keep you guys update as soon as i have new info

i dont think it will be that hard its just diffrent

adding drivers for example will be much easier then before

and because it is suposed to be hardware independed(image can boot to any serial ata for example,with the right drivers)

i think imaging will be more apealing in vista then setup unattened(remeebr you could update your image to include more hotfixes and service packs and drivers(which you cant in xp image)

>>>

How can you update the image to include drivers and service packs? Is this done using the setup manager utility on vista? Can you please provide the sequence of steps involved here?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else been able to pull out the vista PE? got it working fine now but finding it hard to load drivers in PE, drvload.exe is the new tool (replacing drvinst.exe) for loading drivers but it is telling me drivers are loaded but cannot find device... anyone been working on this?

• 1 month later...
Let the testing begin :P

Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) User's Guide for Windows Code-named "Longhorn"

here

Thanks dude! I will be deploying my Vista Beta 1 on VmWare tonight!! woo hoo, now, anyone have any driverpacks for vista! J/K :D

The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page.

• 6 months later...

Hy everyone and greetings from Portugal,

Just reading "Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) User's Guide

for Windows Code named “Longhorn”" and wondering how to make my lab like it's actually for XP and 2003.

I'm beta testing Windows "Longhorn" Server and Windows Deployment Services look veeery nice.

Microsoft learned a lot since XP Deployment.

WDS is very very nice, much easier to setup and deploy machines through it vs RIS, a questions to those useing WDS, has anyone figured out how to automactically add computers to the domain without prestaging the computer? that was the only way i could get computers added to the domain was to prestage them with the UUID

****...I getting really frustated with Vista Unattended.

I'm just used to the Windows XP unattended way.

Is there by any change a way to create an unattended dvd of vista with $OEM$ and the autounattend.xml file somewhere in the dvd?

I've just read every *.chm from WAIK and just can't do it!

as of right now the only way to do an unattended install is through the WSIM that comes with the WAIK, unfortunately it doesn't work very well for most people :) so very few have gotten it to work correctly

• 3 weeks later...

The way I have set up XP is having

D:\WINDOWS

E:\Applications

F:\Users

To get this behavior in Vista, I gues I have to follow this page:

https://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...3dd53bc3fa.mspx

In there it says

Open Windows SIM by clicking Start, All Programs, Microsoft Windows AIK, and then clicking Image Manager.

which means I have to first install Vista in a test machine. :huh:

It would've been pretty cool if we could create Vista unattended DVDs straightaway from XP.

Open Windows SIM by clicking Start, All Programs, Microsoft Windows AIK, and then clicking Image Manager.

which means I have to first install Vista in a test machine. :huh:

It would've been pretty cool if we could create Vista unattended DVDs straightaway from XP.

You can install the WAIK on an XP SP2 PC.

You could create the image from that couldn't you?