Here's some shell extensions...

P E S X - Portable Executable Shell Extension

Author's Website

Download PESX

-Finds file dependencies and list paths to dll used by the exe in question.

--allows to copy information to clipboard

--allows to copy dependent files to one directory :thumbup

(This is one of the easiest ways to migrate dependencies when authoring Windows PE /Bart PE plug ins.)

-System resources use is extremely low and is only in use when accessing 'Properties' of a exe.

Tip!!!

-PESX.dll is very easy to customize for those who are familiar with resource editing.

-Works in windows PE / Bart PE

-This program is free!!!. B) Just email the author and ask for a key! Return reply was very quick.

To get to the goodies of this extension....

1. R. Click on a exe and select properties. A new tab will be shown called 'dependencies'.

2. R. Click on any item in dependencies and you will see the standard R. click menu allowing you to do any normal operation on any file in the list plus, a new menu called PESX. Psx's features can now be accessed

Edited by LiquidSage

Heheh, I had to make an account here just to post this reply...

There were a couple Mp3 shell extensions mentioned (well AudioShell adds other formats) but no one mentioned the best one!!!

MP3ext! It has a brilliant tag editor available through the properties menu and you can choose themes to show different icons for various bitrates thus instantly showing the quality of the file.

You can download my theme here: Nighted's MacStyle theme :thumbup

Here's a screenshot: MacStyle_by_Nighted.gif

B)

BTW, thanks for the awesome shell extensions! I found some stuff I really needed and your hide extensions and show hidden files are great. What a find! Hope you find MP3ext and use my icons.

Oh, look for JAM Software and look at these free apps. They have two really useful apps that you can call from your context menu, one is TreeSize that allows you to compare sizes of directories and the other is NTFSRatio that lets you compress/decompress files.

Edited by Nighted

• 3 weeks later...

haven't been on much due to a busy school schedule, and a lot going on :w00t: but i finally have some news about where I'm at and some other stuff I'm gonna try (and the level of difficulty i expect from each):

SubMenuPack :thumbup - this is the one that I've been hitting major delays with. I never really realized how much work programmers need to go through to work with files in a win32 environ. (i.e. file i/o api's, path validation, multi-byte & unicode, custom file parsing, and creating logical/reusable code and algorithms, etc.). But I feel like I've been making headway with it when I get the time, and i've already found some 're'-uses for some of the code I've laid down for this. I've added a lot more functionality than i ever originally intended to and when I finish with the entension itself I plan on finishing up the config utility to package with the release. I'm hoping to be done with this before the new year, but I can't really promise anything. [Difficulty: Really Freakin' Hard]

In the works/projects waiting list:

1) IE/shell extension for Favorites items to "Open in New Window" [Difficulty: Moderately Easy] (Complete)

Note: decided to rework this to be more browser-independent (for all those who run firefox/opera/etc)

2) a textfile extension that would essentially use an external, multiline Find and Replace dialog [Difficulty: Moderately Hard]

3) IE extension (will release more info after I find out if its possible but it has something to

do with saving pictures when right-clcik is disabled on a page). [Difficulty: Moderately Hard]

4) replacement extensions for WMP 10 (I think I could do this already but I've been putting my time in on my main project) anyway it would basically remove WMPs paired extensions and allow you choose which ones were allowed on a 1:1 basis (instead of the 1:2 basis available thru regedit) [Difficulty: Really Freakin' Easy]

5) a Toolbar extension or two (probably remakes of my other extensions) [Difficulty: Really Freakin' Hard]

6) adding icons to my context extensions [Difficulty: Moderately Hard]

I suppose I might take a few ideas as long as nobody is expecting anything anytime soon... if anybody has some useful ones to throw on the list (that aren't too hard lol) :P but i plan on trying to finish up as much as i can before i start on anything new.

Edited by spiritpyre

hi i hope som1 can make a context menu like this one... im using FolderPilo but it has bugs... as you can see, the context menu looks different.. it does not match some themes like VistaXP, Clear Looks etc.. its annoying for me.. so if anyone has some ideas how can i make that kind of context menu, pls help...

untitled2oa1.jpg

Edited by slimzky

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd share some shell extensions of my own. Check out this page for more info/download links. :)

Path to Clipboard

This copies the full path of the file/folder you clicked, to the clipboard.

Tail to Clipboard

This is useful if you work with log files alot, and need to copy the last line of a file elsewhere. Tail to Clipboard can also get the first line of a file instead, to do so specify /first in the command line, eg:

"C:\Program Files\Tail to Clipboard\tail to clipboard.exe" "/first" "%1"

-ReadOnly

This is useful if you copy data from a cd to your hd frequently and wish to remove the read-only attribute from all files/subfolders within a folder, including the folder you clicked on. -ReadOnly is intended for installation in the directory context menu and may not work correctly if launched from elsewhere.

Empty Folder (to recycle bin)

If launched from clicking on a file, this will delete *everything* in the folder in which the file resides to the recycle bin. If launched from clicking on a folder, this will delete everything inside that folder to the recycle bin.

Create .bak

This makes a copy of the selected file and gives it an additional .bak extension like so:

file.exe
file.exe.bak

Create Playlist

This extension creates an .m3u playlist file of all the mp3s in the current directory as viewed within Windows Explorer.

Create Directory Listing

This creates a text file listing the contents of the directory you are in, in the directory you are in. Once the file is created it is opened. The filename also includes the datestamp at file creation in yyMMdd format and the path of the directory listing is written as the first line in the file.

Sample directory listing:

C:\Perl

bin
eg
html
lib
site

pod2htmd.tmp
pod2htmi.tmp

Create Shortcut

I wrote this for those who wish to delete the Create Shortcut entry from shell32.dll menu resources, but still wish to be able to create shortcuts via the shell menu.

@ spiritpyre

I have a client who is blind and uses a screen reader. She asked me if there is a easy way to toggle file extensions as it is time consuming if the reader has to read out full file name with extension all the time. Your FileExtToggle works great in My Computer however I noticed that if you use Windows Explorer the Find File dialog box displays. This only happens while the "Folders bar" (View>Explorer Bar\Folders) is open (default). I can get around this by giving advice to my client to use My Computer or close the Folder bar in Explorer however it would be great if this could be fixed in a new version in the future.

@ spiritpyre

I have a client who is blind and uses a screen reader. She asked me if there is a easy way to toggle file extensions as it is time consuming if the reader has to read out full file name with extension all the time. Your FileExtToggle works great in My Computer however I noticed that if you use Windows Explorer the Find File dialog box displays. This only happens while the "Folders bar" (View>Explorer Bar\Folders) is open (default). I can get around this by giving advice to my client to use My Computer or close the Folder bar in Explorer however it would be great if this could be fixed in a new version in the future.

So far I haven't been able to recreate the problem. I opened Windows Explorer (i.e. Folder pane/bar is displayed instead of "System Tasks") and 'My Computer' but it works fine in both on my system. What system is your client running? I've had no problems on any xp system, haven't personally tested 2000/NT/ME as of yet, but as I said the extension may hit problems on 9x systems. If it is a 9x system, I would guess that the problem is coming from the 'refresh' routine which currently just calls "Refresh" from a context menu. I'd love to use a better method of refreshing the file system programmatically, but haven't been able to find anything yet. :(

also wanted to say welcome to msfn to you and Serenity_ :hello:

and thanks to Serenity_ for great extensions :D just curious what programming language did you write them in? I like the Create .bak and I don't think I've seen anybody make that before.

Edited by spiritpyre

• 2 weeks later...

@ spiritpyre

The systems I tried FileExtToggle both run Windows XP Pro SP2. I'm not sure how your program works to understand why the Search Companion (Search Results window - all files) opens when it runs in Windows Explorer. I have looked at registry entries HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\Shell\Find & HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\Find as they may have something to do with it. If registry entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\Find value is set to none, Winamp opens when FileExtToggle is run while a folder is active. There are 3 folders with winamp after the find folder under Directory\Shell.

Edited by Pedro56