Here's some shell extensions...

The checkmarks should work without the installers, but you might have to click once or twice before they'll create the appropriate entries. By default, the checkmarks are displayed when items are shown but you can make them appear when items are hidden by changing the "CheckValueOn" value. If clicking doesn't work, try adding the entries to the registry.

REGEDIT4
; CheckValueOn: "1"=Check when shown (default) or "0"=Check when hidden
; CheckState: "1"=Check Displayed or "0" Check not displayed (changes when toggled)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SpiritPyre Extensions\FileExtToggle]
"CheckState"=dword:00000001
"CheckValueOn"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SpiritPyre Extensions\HiddenFilesToggle]
"CheckState"=dword:00000001
"CheckValueOn"=dword:00000001

I'll look into the uninstaller issue and xp64 issue as soon as I can. I'm still on 32bit windows so I wasn't aware that they changed the registry around (as I currently have no way of testing it). Depending on te problem, I may have to release another build for the 64bit version (which should be easy if its only a matter of changing where to write to...)

edit: I think I found the reason the extensions don't work on xp64 bit: here

32-bit (currently most) Windows Explorer extensions fail to work (due to the fact that 32-bit programs cannot interface with 64-bit in-proc DLLs and vice versa). This is, for example, the context-menu options from things such as zip utilities and things such as icon overlays.

...but if this is true, then I don't understand how CmdPromptHere is working. Unless you only tested it on the folder/drive context menus which don't use the dll (as opposed to the folder background/desktop context menu, which would actually requires the dll to work). By the way, do the extensions show up in the menu correctly but just fail to perform an action when clicked or do they not show up at all?

as of yet, I have no idea how to go about compiling a 64-bit extension dll (or even if its possible without win xp 64bit). I'll see if I can't figure something out, but in the mean time wiki did offer up this workaround:

Resolution - the 32-bit version of Explorer is available and can still be used. One method is to make a shortcut to: "%windir%\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate,C:\" (no quotes).

* Note - it is possible to use the 32-bit version of Explorer as the default shell, but it will crash when attempting to use removable devices (such as USB flash drives).

update: after doing some reading, I think it may be possible. The bad news is that in order to do it, I will need to upgrade to VS 2005 (Pro?). Since I'm still running on a student copy of VS 6.0 (from my old community college), I'll have to see if the college I'm at now has a similar copy for cheapskates like me (or if it can be done with the express version...which is free).

Edited by spiritpyre

ok, I think I fixed the (un)installers. I found a problem where the admin/nonadmin cases were reversed during install and normal during uninstaller (so it was looking in the wrong place). If you have entries in Add/Remove Programs that won't go away, you can remove them manually by deleting the following keys:

REGEDIT4

; Remove (v3.0) HKLM entries
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BrowserBack Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CmdPromptHere Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FileExtToggle Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HiddenFilesToggle Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NewWindowFavorites Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SelectAll Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UpOneLevel Extension 3.0]

; Remove (v3.0) HKCU entries
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BrowserBack Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CmdPromptHere Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FileExtToggle Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HiddenFilesToggle Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NewWindowFavorites Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SelectAll Extension 3.0]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UpOneLevel Extension 3.0]

; Remove (old version) HKLM entries
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BrowserBack Extension]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CmdPromptHere Extension]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FileExtToggle Extension]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HiddenFilesToggle Extension]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NewWindowFavorites Extension]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SelectAll Extension]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UpOneLevel Extension]

; Remove (old version) HKCU entries
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BrowserBack Extension]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CmdPromptHere Extension]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FileExtToggle Extension]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HiddenFilesToggle Extension]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NewWindowFavorites Extension]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SelectAll Extension]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UpOneLevel Extension]

the updated installers (and corresponding 7-zip archives) have been reuploaded.

<edit> I noticed today, that somewhere along the line my No Start Menu Items button became broken... <_< at least on some of the installers (haven't tried it using the cmdline switches). Apparently I need to go back and completely retest everything... :crazy:

Edited by spiritpyre

Ok, I was just going over old posts for some info (I updated the documentation not all that long ago and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything) and I noticed I forgot to mention a few things.

1) plonkeroo requested re-encapsulate the thread to reduce clutter (not to mention that many of the posts are outdated--mostly my fault as I never updated my posts that refer to old registry and/or file locations, etc.). I think that's a good idea, but I'd like to hold off until my next major update. Then I can just start another thread and post everything there. In the meantime, I did already craw through the previous posts (at least in this thread) and attempted to update the big list of shell extensions (in the 2nd post). I didn't include everything that everybody mentioned. I passed by anything that didn't have a freeware/opensource license or that I just couldn't find anywhere. But other than that I tried to be really thorough.

2) I involved with an internship this summer so I don't expect to have much freetime over the next three months as much more of my week is taken up (as opposed to during the school semester).

3) I've been thinking about what to do with my SubMenu extension project alot lately. Especially the config utility which has become a major pain in *** (but I think that, hopefully, its at least a worthwhile pain in the ***). Anyway, I think I'd like to combine my FileMenu project with the SubMenu one into the same project. They already basically do the same thing; they just work with different context menus (and perhaps I could even make another version to work with some of the other context menus). The main advantage is that I could have one config utility that would work on everything---I'm even considering pages that will work with the other extensions (ie., you could setup the Toggler extensions with it, etc). It'll make things alot more work, but it will (hopefully) organize things a bit, make it easier to import/store settings, and (also hopefully) make updating the thing a little easier.

Bottomline: It'll prolly be awhile before I have any major updates with this project. (I'll try to get around to the No Start Menu Item installer problem by the end of the month though if I'm able though)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The body of v3 of FileExtToggle.html deals with Browse back. I haven't checked the corresponding file for other extensions.

Is it possible to incorporate a forced refresh after using the Hidden Files or Hide Extension functionality?

• 2 weeks later...
The body of v3 of FileExtToggle.html deals with Browse back. I haven't checked the corresponding file for other extensions.

Is it possible to incorporate a forced refresh after using the Hidden Files or Hide Extension functionality?

Are you saying that the extension(s) isn't refreshing the list of files in explorer automatically? If so, what OS version are you using and what locale is the computer set for? It should be opening a windows menu and choosing the Refresh option automatically. Not the most awesome bit of programming out there, but since MS doesn't provide a good method for doing this in COM (and F5 doesn't work the same) it was the only way to go. At least I've never been able to find a better way to pull off the same effect. In short it would be really really nice if MS had just provide a RefreshExplorer() api method.

Anyway, my point was that a lot of things can get in the way of choosing refresh from the menu (btw most of the time you shouldn't even see it open the menu and choose refresh because it happens so fast). Other extensions can steal the shortcut for refresh (because some programmer doesn't look first!). The shortcut can change in other locales. Or it could be something else entirely (such as a compatibility problem with vista or xp 64bit).

======================

And completely unrelated, I haven't had anytime to work on this all summer between my internship, my student project, and life. However, I have been considering some changes for the project such as switching to the .net platform [as I've heard it has much better api calls, is more portable, and generally a lot easier to work with] or possibly even sharing the project with another developer. I've also been considering some revisions many aspects of the project from the way data is organized to how it's stored [i like the idea of xml support] and even the way everything presents in windows. This may eventually lead to more extensions ....but no promises.

Thanx for replying.

Your explanation on how it works helped me to troubleshoot the problem. I'd configured http://www.hace.us-inc.com/mmm.shtml to capture the Refresh entry of the context menu.

As for using F5 instead I don't know if this can help http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/ind...g70832#msg70832

glad to hear you got it working :D

as for the other; I've noticed that depending on what's actually being refreshed, F5 either doesn't seem to work at all or it will. I remember trying it out alot without any luck. I may try and address this issue again eventually as I've had time to learn about a few more techniques and some tools that may help me identify what happens when you do it the 'normal' way (clicking the button in the Options dialog).

• 3 months later...

I'm a newbie here and after browsing for ever to find the extensions (Hidden Files, File Extension toggle and others), I found this site. but sadly, I'm unable to download all of the files in the first page. I think they're expired or something. please update them again or you can upload them to another file hosting site.

thanks Kelsenellenelvian. but how do i use the dll files? i've tried pasting them into system32 but nothing happened even after restarting the pc. i also tried to double-click the dll files but then the file was gone but the extension still unavailable. i also tried to download SubMenuPack Extension 1.0.11.0 from the first page but i'm unable to do so. please help!

Guest MonickerL

I'm looking for hidden file toggle too, and as Alexander said, the link is down.

EDIT: Nvm... but I don't quite get what to do with the DLLs...

Edited by MonickerL