Windows XP hangs on startup

ramone_johnny

Hey guys,

My install of XP is running fine, however when first starting up the **** thing hangs at the desktop. I cant launch explorer, or make an internet connection via dial up. Infact almost everything hangs, its a matter of waiting 4-5 minutes. Its really giving me the s_hits! Windows update is ok, Ive run a full anti virus scan, thats ok, and also run adaware over the top.

The system looks clean, just got this annoying hanging error. I got a feeling it might be SP2, but where the hell do I start?

RJ

Use linux... haha... BOOYAH

Edit: hey, you said you wanted a fix didn't you :P

He wants to fix an issue he's having with Windows, don't promote Linux as a solution to his problem! Get with it.

ramone_johnny, were you messing around with your Services and happen to disable Event Log? This will cause a delayed startup.

If you have bloated software installed like Norton/Symantec that happens to install at least half a dozen of its own Services, then Windows will take even longer to load up. A good alternative antivirus for example is NOD32 or Kaspersky.

Anyway, try the msconfig thing out and let us know.

try msconfig and on the startup tab check what are ur startup itams and click only those programs which are important... try to check also ur anti-virus..if u installed new one...then expect the slowness...anyways not sure if this will help nut u can try it.

You know, I had a similar problem a while back. What I found was that my wireless nic card was taking a long time to get connected to the access point, and it was halting everything up. Not sure if this helps, but it might.

Does the little icon of 2 computers showing network traffic popup in the system tray after the long stall. If so, change your nic drivers. I feel your pain, because it was annoying the s*** out of me.