Help buying new cellphone!

indianarchie

hi..i am planning to buy a new cell phone..the choice is between 4 main models: nokia 6630, 7610, 3230 or SE K700i. which one would u suggest?

Features i need include bluetooth, IR, a good camera, enuff memory. I wud also need to sync info between my cell and my comp, some good applications for business and pleasure too :D.

I tried the 3230, but i find its keys kind of stiff!

So which one would u recommend? esp between 6630, 7610 and 3230?

Well, the 6630 and 7610 both dont have FM radio. Plus lots of software is not compatible with those models.

And if you're going for a high-end, then going for a non-OS phone would be a horrible decision. The k700i does not run symbian OS, and its camera is of poor quality, plus lots more problems with it.

The Nokia 3230 is the BEST choice currently. It has everything I want - and that seriously means a LOT. The keypad takes just a few hours to get used to. So its the one to choose - Rs. 14.5k.

And if you want more memory then buy a 512 MB memory card (DV-RS-MMC).

If you have extra cash to splurge, then go for the 7710 instead - 19k.

But then, its design makes it difficult to hold in ONE HAND. Plus its keypad is non-existent, its a touch-screen. But the advantages are that it is a 3G phone, has wide-screen, has 90 MB memory (compared to the 6 or 8 MB of most other smartphones).

lol prathapml...if i had enuff money, i wouldnt go for any nokia phone..i wud go for the SE P910i! it has symbian OS, too! for me tht's the ultimate cell! But ya..7710 is a good choice but still too costly for me. I top out at 15k max. Well, can u tell me what kinds of apps are incompatible with 7610 and 6630? also does the 3230 have IR? currently i hav this thing abt using me cell as a remote control for my PC, TV, DVD player and watnot! without IR, i wont be able to use it on the TV etc rite? If none of these cells hav IR, what wud u recommend?

Also, how much does a 512 MB memory card (DV-RS-MMC) card cost?

Edited by indianarchie

aaah phoneix...long time no see on MSFN! i need a NEW cell phone. I wasnt carrying one during the rains cos i dont HAVE one lol..tht other one tht i mentioned is my dad's, not mine. And as for the NGage..do u have tht? give it to me to try out man lol! So wats ur opinion on the other ones tht i hav listed?

Yes indeed, 910i would be great. But its cost is the hurdle...

Ok, Nokia smartphones can run this:

Total irRemote

To control TV/radio/oven/etc/etc.

Bemused is the app for winamp/powerpoint control. Oxygen Phone Manager for messages sending/receiving thru PC.

To give just one example of an app incompatible with 7610/6630 - FScaller (full screen caller).

Hundreds more apps too hang those phones when installed.

The 6630 has the advantage of being 3G compatible - but its being phased out, replaced by the 6681. And hey, another observation i made was that the 3230 was much faster than the 7610/6630, despite lot of apps being installed & memory/MMC being almost filled up.

The 3230 does have IR.

And a 512 MB DV-RS-MMC compatible with the newer class of phones, would cost you about Rs.1800 in grey market. Lamington Road might give you even lower prices, if you bargain.

BTW, you could get a 1 GB (plain) MMC itself, for Rs. 2k, but then you need to do all sorts of fiddling to get it to fit any of the newer phones.

I use the SE K700i and K750i and it's does all your after.

K750i - Sony Memory Stick DU Pro - free64Mb when purchased can use 256Mb cards. - IR and Bluetooth. - 2megaPixel camera, best on market at present. - Can sync direct with MS Outlook, s/w included.

If it made beer it would probably be the best phone in the world, but it doesn't but still is

• 2 weeks later...

I have the P910 and I've no regrets :D It's the best phone I've used to date and I change phones quite often. The only downer is the lack of powerful applications - which I make up by carrying a PocketPC.

My advice? Get a used phone instead of a new one.

lol prathapml...if i had enuff money, i wouldnt go for any nokia phone..i wud go for the SE P910i! it has symbian OS, too! for me tht's the ultimate cell! But ya..7710 is a good choice but still too costly for me. I top out at 15k max. Well, can u tell me what kinds of apps are incompatible with 7610 and 6630? also does the 3230 have IR? currently i hav this thing abt using me cell as a remote control for my PC, TV, DVD player and watnot! without IR, i wont be able to use it on the TV etc rite? If none of these cells hav IR, what wud u recommend?

Also, how much does a 512 MB memory card (DV-RS-MMC) card cost?

• 2 months later...

Hey let me tell you that 3230 has got 120 MHz. processor, just 4MB RAM, Symbianm 7,Class 6 EDGE ( If u r going for EDGE then u should get class 10 EDGE atleasso if someone would like to buy 3230 then its for its pretty looks + Infrared + Radio... but you can see its reported as a buggy phone by 80% people I've seen.

so get Nokia 6630... with 220 MHz processor, 8MB RAM, Symbian 8 and reviewed as best smartphone for value by xperts.

Oh and in case you still want to get 3230 get ONLY a MADE IN CHINA model , because rest are faulty.