how to remove the "remove hardware" icon

ripken204

no, the .rar file I sent you is just the installer, you have to extract it and then you run it from RunOnceEx.cmd and it installs your AutoIt script so that it runs every startup via the registry (from your system32 folder) not the startup folder (I hate the startup folder) it also puts the original HideSRHi.exe in your windows directory and a "safely remove hardware" shortcut in you accessories folder so you can still remove something if you want to. so all you have to do is post the file I sent you for people to download. also I was wondering if you could compile a script so that it calls HideSRHi.exe from the system32 folder instead of the windows folder because if HideSRHi.exe you can call it easily from a cmd prompt or the registry with out the need to do anything extra.

the RunOnceEx.cmd code should look something like this:

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\099 /VE /D "Auto Hide Safely Remove Hardware Icon" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\099 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\HideSRHi.exe" /f

EXIT

the install I made is mainly for people that wish to have this installed with thier unattended windows xp installations. however it can be used just as a regular installer. if you still want to host the file I can re-send you it.

Edited by godan

O.K., now that I've removed it, I realise that I want it back. I would like to transfer files from an external USB drive to another computer, but would like not to have to shut it down to remove the hard drive. Any solution?

wow, i just changed batmeter.dll to batmeter.bak and it works

@redcloud, if u used hidesrhi then just go into the task manager and and explorer.exe, then go to applications and then new task and stat explorer.exe

@Redcloud in the link i referenced in my post above you would see how to create a shortcut to the dialog box you would normally access from the tray icon.

Also you can create a shortcut to open the Dialog box Without using the Tray Icon.  Just create a shortcut to:

%windir%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

[edit] or use ripkens method and restart explorer.exe :)

Edited by DigeratiPrime

i just made an au3 script that will change batmeter.dll to batmeter.bak

http://frontiernet.net/~unholyknights/batmeter.exe

this way u will never see the icon again unless u change batmeter.bak to batmeter.dll

this is what batmeter.dll is

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/batmeter/

so it rly not important at all, maybe if ur using a laptop