DetachedProgram & Other Problems

I'm in trouble because of some problem posed by my always irritating brain. Please, give advice to solve my miseries. Here're they:

1. I've successfully packed my Driver package into 7-ZIP SFX archive named Drivers.EXE. I wish to run it at T-39 Minute Mark. I know how to include Arguments in Winnt.sif if something is to be run as DetachedProgram. Problem is i also wish to include extraction of another 7-ZIP SFX archive named Install.EXE at the same T-39 Minute Mark by DetachedProgram. So, i'm thinking to run extraction of both these EXE files from a BATCH file;the path of the BATCH file is going to be included as DetachedProgram. Now, my question is: "running a Batch file as DetachedProgram Do need any Arguments= inside the [GUIUnattended] section? Or, more specifically, does Arguments= always needed in order to run DetachedProgram ? If not, then what are the choices? Arguments=No or No referrence of Arguments= at all?

2. Is there any way to completely hide progress bar of 7-ZIP SFX Archive, when it gets extracted at the T-39 Minute Mark? I'm troubled by the Progress Bar because it totally destroyes the beauty of Background Image.

3. My last question is unrelated to the above 1/2. How many things from the I386 folder of Setup CD can be taken out of it during installation safely upto 1st Log-On so that i can schedule installation of those parts from RunOnceEx.cmd? My UACD size is crossing a CD's Max. Capacity. I wish to use a 2nd-CD and Nanaki's Cdswitch utility to change CD-1 to CD-2 inside RunOnceEx.cmd. By things or parts, i mean some services or games or any other thing you could imagine. nLite takes out portions of installation by user's choice at the start; or XPLite which can take out after the install. Can anything taken out be really added back during the same install from a different CD, so that when Total Installation leads me to Blue valley, everything looks as if Setup Completed as a whole from a single CD?

Please help me. Waiting.......

Edited by MOONLIGHT SONATA

A few further questions come to my mind; without starting a new topic, i post them in this topic, again, numbering conttinued from my previous post :

4. Is it possible to change the background of Safemode Wallpaper, which, as i've seen, is nothing but pure black. Can i be able to apply a different bitmap image as background? What are the other formalities that i've to go through in order to use a custom image?

5. Is it possible to convert my .jpg images inside the Windows\Web\Wallpaperfolder into .bmp images from command-line, during UACD installation? If possible, then i'll be able to pack smaller .jpg files inside my CD and instead of space-hogging .bmp file. Which command-line utility, if any, can serve this purpose?

6. My UACD, after XP+SP2 slipstreaming, has a folder named cmpnents, which further have two sub-folders named netfx and TABLETPC. Now, i really don't need to have their support after XP installation. Can this cmpnents folder be deleted from the UA Setup CD? Further, mere deleting cmpnents folder is enough to realize this goal, or, do i need to edit txtsetup.sif or any other .inf file inside i386 folder?

Please, respond....My previous 3 questions are still not answered by anybody... I request my fellow members to look into these questions, and come forward to my rescue :( ...I badly need your piece of mind.

1. No idea, but I always extract my drivers before windows setup starts, by the use of presetup.cmd.

2. Yes it's possible. You should look for a thread explaining custom 7zip sfx modules. It involves reshacking the sfx-module I think, not sure tho.

3. This is gonna require a lot of research. Stuff like drivers you can add yourself, and Windows Media Player, Interner Explorer... have an installer. Maybe by checking what files were removed, extracting all of them and copying them over to the /system32 directory manually. This would still give some problems tho.

4. You should be able to set a wallpaper in there, check the change in the registry (like with an app like Regshot) and then apply it in your uA installation.

5. "topng" can do this I think.

6. Ask in the nLite-forum, I have no idea about this.

Additional notes: why these space-free-measures? I have an nLited Windows, also containing all driver packs and some extra apps, all crammed on one disc. Other apps I keep on a second disc. I didn't even nLite it much. :P

1. No idea, but I always extract my drivers before windows setup starts, by the use of presetup.cmd.

2. Yes it's possible. You should look for a thread explaining custom 7zip sfx modules. It involves reshacking the sfx-module I think, not sure tho.

3. This is gonna require a lot of research. Stuff like drivers you can add yourself, and Windows Media Player, Interner Explorer... have an installer. Maybe by checking what files were removed, extracting all of them and copying them over to the /system32 directory manually. This would still give some problems tho.

4. You should be able to set a wallpaper in there, check the change in the registry (like with an app like Regshot) and then apply it in your uA installation.

5. "topng" can do this I think.

6. Ask in the nLite-forum, I have no idea about this.

Additional notes: why these space-free-measures? I have an nLited Windows, also containing all driver packs and some extra apps, all crammed on one disc. Other apps I keep on a second disc. I didn't even nLite it much. :P

Dear Nanaki,

Here's my response-cum-queries against your invaluable comments (at last, and at least, you came to my rescue, :) .....Thanks, Mate)

R1> When Your use of Presetup.cmd before Windows Setup starts, is actually takes place? Is it at T-39 Minute Mark through DetachedProgram? Someone very knowledgeable Forum Member advised me long ago that from DetachedProgram can only be possible to run a .BAT and not .CMD file. I'm asking you T-nn mark of Presetup.cmd only for this reason.

R2> I've duly consulted keytotime's priceless tutorial on making switchless installer based on 7-ZIP Solid archive(extension: .7z)(Link:http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39048). But, unfortunately, they silence extraction by reshacking 7z.sfx file. My intention is to make and deploy 7-ZIP SFX archive(extension .exe), which is not an installer. there lies my problem, as .EXE archive has no 7z.sfx file there.

R3> I'm hopefully waiting for resonse from some other kind persons (just like you) in order to dive into this dangerous ocean.

R4> Changing Safemode Wallpaper is not so easy; i learned the bitter truth very hard way. Safemode wallpaper is set from safemode.htt file in Windows\Web folder. If you look in the right-pane of Registry Key : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\SafeMode\General

you'll find Wallpaper value which has default data set as %SystemRoot%\Web\SafeMode.htt; Mere changing this value leads me to nowhere.

R5> Thanks for "topng"; downloaded, nice tool, serves my purpose fully.

R6> Yeah, i'll ask in nLite forum.

Additional Notes: All these space-free measures are because of Protection Method that i envisage and that i've to make possible from 2nd CD, but the security file will be located in 1st CD. Actually, 2nd CD is needed by me to be Copy-Protected; for that, i wish to deliberately put a large video file in 2nd CD and try to make an error-full Overburnt CD, which will be rejected by every burner and every Burning software for being unable to copy. This video file will waste a lot of space, you know....

Waiting for your comments further...

You have 900MB cd's... :P

R1> Before the setup even starts. Check this.

R2> As far as I know, I created my 7zip .exes by doing a COPY-command of the 7z-archive and the sfx-file. It's always there.

Otherwise, how about just keeping the .7z-archive, and then extracting it manually with the command line tools.

R3> Maybe try asking in nLite-forum.

R4> I'll check into it when I have some time. Don't like rebooting. edit=Not possible I'm afraid, the webpage you found has nothing to do with Safe Mode. I was also unable to change anything in Safe Mode.

Edited by Nanaki