Site that tells me what services is needed?

The ultimate reference for Windows XP Services was BlackViper's site

http://www.blackviper.com

But that site is now closed, and i don't know if it ever will be up, and I don't know any mirrors too.

But good news is that you can check out the site in google cache. And even better, I have the sites contents in PDF.

BlackViper's Services configuration for different users 45KB

BlackViper's Services 411 - Everything you need to know about services 210KB

Edited by aadipa

The ultimate reference for Windows XP Services was BlackViper's site

http://www.blackviper.com

But that site is now closed, and i don't know if it ever will be up, and I don't know any mirrors too.

But good news is that you can check out the site in google cache. And even better, I have the sites contents in PDF.

BlackViper's Services configuration for different users 45KB

BlackViper's Services 411 - Everything you need to know about services 210KB

I don't know how to access google's cache. Can you provide a link to accessing Blackviper's site on google's cache? Thanks.

I copied the service config reccomendations from blackvipers site in this post, and added the registry tweaks.  I also sorted the tweaks by 'Startup Type'.

BlackViper Service Configurations Registry Keys

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=38247&hl=

Thanks for the post, but I'm not sure what you mean by "NOT-SO-SAFE" to DISABLE

Are all of the registry files that you linked there part of the safe list or the third column in the pics? I'm a little confused..

"NOT-SO-SAFE" to DISABLE - means exactly that.

If you do disable them, you may stop your pc from booting or being stable, (so it crashes more often, etc etc)

The third column is the safe list.

If your really unsure, i would set your services to the SAFE column, as this has probably been teted and found to be reliable, OR leave them as is, so you know you system won't crash.

"NOT-SO-SAFE" to DISABLE - means exactly that.

If you do disable them, you may stop your pc from booting or being stable, (so it crashes more often, etc etc)

The third column is the safe list.

If your really unsure, i would set your services to the SAFE column, as this has probably been teted and found to be reliable, OR leave them as is, so you know you system won't crash.

I didn't mean it like that. I was asking if all of those tweaks are tweaks that adhere to the "safe column" settings? If so, then how come so many tweaks are missing?

sgt_strider,

having compared the list on the site by DigeratiPrime and the pdf document that was offered, I can see that the list is larger in the pdf, and that is because all possible services that can be installed are listed.

The URL list only the default install ones.

Also, he has said NOT-SO-SAFE to some which are quite safe to set as Manual, i.e. Fast USer Switching if you don't use teh new logon style you don't need it.

The list by DigeratiPrime is split into the same style as BlackViper, but he has given the reg key for each one, nothing more. So your ok to use the SAFE list as is and just alter them to start as required, Auto, Manual, Disabled. IF all goes well, then start to tweak the others, but with services care is needed.