Bluetooth Devices icon not present

indianarchie

Hello...

I have purchased a USB bluetooth adapter (from IVT corporation), with which i plan to syncronize and transfer files between my comp and cell phone (SE T610). The problem is, how do i get windows XP Media Center (with SP2) to detect the phone? I understand that there should be a 'Bluetooth Devices' icon in the control panel, from which i can detect the adapter and set up the phone. But in my case, there is no such icon in the control panel. Does any one have any idea how i can get it? Please guide me on this!

I dont want to use the program that came with the adapter (called BlueSoleil). I wud rather use the native drivers provided by Windows to detect and set up the phone and adapter. This is coz it will also let me use the phone as a remote control for the PC. This functionality is not there in BlueSoleil as far as i know.

My primary reason for using the native driver is so i can use my phone to control my computer, winamp and Win media player. Please help!

Is your Media Center, of version 2005 ? (or XP home/pro with SP2 *integrated*)

Then it should work just fine straight away.

First check if your bluetooth adapter got detected by the system at all, by the system, in device manager - you should have a device category called "Bluetooth Radios".

After that, the bluetooth device wizard will search for, and detect your phone.

If the first step - Bt adapter detection - itself is not happening, then its possible that there's some problem with it. Get a new one. And then, even if the new one is working fine, its possible that it wont be compatible with your phone, in which case you'd need something else again. So get an exchange-assurance from the shopkeeper before buying it.

If you'd like to know, this is what I have:

Nokia 3230 (bluetooth 1.1), and its working perfectly with an X-Micro USB Bluetooth Dongle. The dongle costed rupees 1450.

lol prathapml...1450 bucks for a BT dongle! I got mine from lamington road mumbai for rupees 550 only. Its by IVT corporation, AND carries a year long warranty too. :D

Ok now...my OS is MCE 2004 with sp2. When i install the software that came with the dongle (called Bluesoleil) the software detects the phone (SE T610) with no problem. I can also transfer files to and from my cell and comp. So i dont think the dongle is the problem. and the dongle is compatible with my phone too.

After bluesoleil is installed and the dongle plugged in, i chked the device manager. There is no category called bluetooth radios. Instead there is one calles ISSC Bluetooth Device, which lists my dongle correctly.

How do u start the Bluetooth device wizard? i dont have the icon in the control panel from where i can do so. any idea how i can get tht??

My main reason for using (or atleast TRYING to use :( ) windows native drivers is so i can use another software called 'float's mobile agent' to syncronize my cell and my comp. FMA is, like a kind of MS Outlook for cell phones, used to sync addresses, contacts, SMSs, anf files on ur comp. U can chk the site at

http://fma.sourceforge.net/index2.htm

Using FMA it is also possible to use my cell as a BT remote control (yippee) which is my MAIN reason for this whole BT detection thingy. I cant use bluesoleil since it doesnt support the remote control function.

And yes, i know theres some links for BT remote controls in this form, but they are .sis files which are not supported by SE T610 (now dont ask me to switch my cell :) ).

Any ideas on how i can solve thiis vexing issue would be very welcome!!

One more thing..i know of ur love for the 3230 (chked ur postings in other threads lol) but can u tell me ur opinion on the 6630 too? and which is better..6630, 7610, 3230 or the SE700i? i hav a thread for tht in this section itself so could u reply there pls!!

Thanks for taking the effort to answer!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i bought the same BT as indianarchie bought...and my problem is pretty much similar to him.........i want to use native driver also........but i guess things are not solved!!!....and bt icon is not visible on my xp service pack 2 control panel...

Indianarchie..could u solve the problem?? plz help me....

sunny747 

Well, i bought the same BT as indianarchie bought...and my problem is pretty much similar to him.........i want to use native driver also........but i guess things are not solved!!!....and bt icon is not visible on my xp service pack 2 control panel...

Indianarchie..could u solve the problem?? plz help me....

Hey...finally got the solution to the problem...and u dont even need the Bluetooth Device icon on Control Panel for this!

1) If u use Bluesoleil, open the application and create a virtual serial port connection with ur BT phone. Note the COM port used for the virtual connection.

2) Open FMA. Use the internal Web update feature to download and apply the latest patches. Depending on the FMA version u r using, the web update feature should be found under the help meny as 'check for updates' or something similar.

3) After the patches have been applied, in FMA, from the Tools menu, select options. Under the connectivity page, select the COM port noted earlier, and press Lookup device. the phone should be detected.

4) From FMA's File menu, select Connect. FA should now be able to detect and connect to the phone.

This is how i did it. Hope this helps. Let me know whether it worked or not.

Thanks for ur prompt reply indianarchie......well my purpose is completely different from you i guess :( i'm actually coding a software where it would send a txt file note to any mobile phone that will come across the range of my computer BT. As u click the button, the software will send the note to the mobile phone. It could be any mobile phone. That's why it is very important for me to have the BT icon on my control panel.

I was thinkign abt the virtual comport. But in that case, i have to assign my computer to a single phone. But my users will be having different type of phone...they will not be able to assign each time when they use the software.

So i was wondering, if i get to that point where i'll have the BT icon on my control panel, things might be easy for me.

any idea ? .....

• 8 months later...