Need a good Lock-Down tool

duomenox

Hi everyone,

We are currently using Full Control Internet from Bardon Data systems www.bardon.com to secure our terminals at some remote locations. Employees still need access to their documents and such but FCI allows us to losck the desktop, disallow the installation of new software. And restrict the websites that the employees are allowed to visit.

They were supposed to have a Remote Administration Manager that worked, we are finding that it is not working through NAT.

Do any of you know of another software program that will do the things I mentioned above and have a remote administration function that works through NAT?

Any ideas would be appreciated. We looked at some non-remote software like CetusSoft's Stormwindows, but most of that stuff can be locked down using the Local Security Policy (which we are also using).

Thanks for the ideas!

• 3 weeks later...
Do any of you know of another software program that will do the things I mentioned above and have a remote administration function that works through NAT?

Any ideas would be appreciated. We looked at some non-remote software like CetusSoft's Stormwindows, but most of that stuff can be locked down using the Local Security Policy (which we are also using).

Thanks for the ideas!

Are you using other tools that have to have NAT? What makes "working through NAT" as having to be an essential part of the solution? What about SSL communications?

Hmmm - maybe Deep Freeze from Acronis in conjunction w/ their Anti-Executable - not sure whether they can be administered remotely though ...  :huh:

*edit* No website policy though in these products ... :blushing:

Deep Freeze is not from Acronis ?

Nope... Deep Freeze is from Faronics. My friend is working for them right now. He gave me a copy of the program to try out... really really cool! I think the administrative version has the ability to control it via NAT.

With Deep Freeze, you don't need anything else. Set it to reboot every 24 hours and your computers will never go bad.

If you're using XP Professional, you can set Group Policies to restrict the executables that can be run. Have a look through the group policy editor (start->Run->gpedit.msc) for these settings.

Nope... Deep Freeze is from Faronics. My friend is working for them right now. He gave me a copy of the program to try out... really really cool! I think the administrative version has the ability to control it via NAT.

With Deep Freeze, you don't need anything else. Set it to reboot every 24 hours and your computers will never go bad.

If you're using XP Professional, you can set Group Policies to restrict the executables that can be run. Have a look through the group policy editor (start->Run->gpedit.msc) for these settings.

Problem is, he said they tried DF, and it dosen't suit their environment.