Howto: Heavy slimmed down XP WITH functionality

Fridge-RaideR

I use Advanced Registry Tracer for things like this, you can save the whole scan and export it for later comparison with a different comp...and then export the differences.

Jump to the registry key, export specific keys, filter function...and so on.

Speaking of Fred Vork...

Would this be useful in finding out exactly which registry keys are

required to run the NT4 shell in Windows 2000? (And eventually

one could hope in XP too..)

I use Advanced Registry Tracer for things like this, you can save the whole scan and export it for later comparison with a different comp...and then export the differences.

Jump to the registry key, export specific keys, filter function...and so on.

Speaking of Fred Vork...

Would this be useful in finding out exactly which registry keys are

required to run the NT4 shell in Windows 2000? (And eventually

one could hope in XP too..)

Hmm, not really the target function I would say.. :blink:

But, actually in a far fetched way you can use it to gather some usable keys and knowledge.

1. Install a fresh NT4 install in a virtual environment.

2. Install ART and UnregDll..(grab the one I've attached or use the regtweak found here at the board on various places).

3. Make a "snapshot" of the registry.

4. Rightclick that shell and unregister it.

5. Make another snapshot of that registry.

6. Use compare function.

7. Export BOTH "redo" AND "undo".

..now, if you rightclick the "redo" file and choose edit you can see all the keys that has been deleted/modified/added

..further, if you do the same with the "undo" file you can easily grab specific keys for that

particular dll you have unregistered...(also as you will see, labeled with recognizable names )

...RNG, Cryptographic and user specific keys are of no use..(not entierly true, you can use .DEFAULT and CURRENT on some of them...but that depends on other factors..can't go into that now)

Ofcourse the registry of XP and NT4 differs so there will be things to consider, but this should help you localize and get a "feeling" of what that shell are attached to/in.

A direct comparison between XP's and NT4's registry using ART I would save as a last step...better to have some knowledge/"feeling" before getting into that.

Good Luck! :)

EDIT: I forgot, what do you mean by Fred Vork...? :huh:

unregDll.zip

Edited by Clint

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Fridge, this is one hell of a thread you got here :o

And here you told me you were pretty inactive @ MSFN :P

P.s. You forgot:

Software I use

Programs

CoRoNe's DirectShow FilterPack (confirmed working) ;)

I'll try to update my thread someday soon, but too bad there are very few updates on this matter. Perhaps I'll update it a little more "support-wise".

Keep up the good work :thumbup

Hey fridge, what happened?

I throwed you guys a 20mb "install sized reduction" bone (more to it really) and you came up with this thread and proclamated "nice to be back in action"....but where is the "action"..?

Are you simply just waiting for another bone?

C'mon now...Jeremy has promised to show some action as well...

hehe, ...I hope this will fire you guys up....I sure got fired up coz of the above mentioned (yes, p***ed me off.. )and that did actually produce some progress.....

As I will expain downwards, somehow the fun I used to have with nLite is fading, so just testing ur stuff and stuff from others, and makin a big topic with detailed guide of how to do it. I gave u credit, and helped people with it.. where's the problem m8

Bolds is one source I've been constantly returning to for checking up files...I owe him a lot as well..;)

And here I was thinking my work was unappreciated at MSFN. :no: Thanks, Clint.

I enjoy following along on the threads here. You guys are doing a great job. Keep it up. Because I'm sure lots of people are getting a lot from what you all are doing.

Hey, in various topics and in the beginning where I did the most research, I used ur list and mensioned that to u ^^

@ Jeremy    jeje ...I have silently..(almost) waiting for Fridge to show something other than just picking from others...and times is up.

Not picking work from others, I asked you, I gave you credit. And I try to find out wot happens if I use ur stuff, and checkin the stuff from my perspective. As I get more and more bored with finding stuff out :( its so bad that after 1 week of spending time with nLite n fun is over.. then I cant be bothered till 1 month later.. dont know why..

fridge-raider can i make use of your tweaks list

i want to get started on it, but want permissions before i continue,

You dont need permission for anything or to use anything here, its public property, just give credit where appropriate. And if u find any errors, post them so others can learn from it :)

i wish i had more ready already, but I have barely any time on the computer right now.

but ill try to get a .cmd ready for a few of you to test

.reg will have to wait til later

3000+ enties now

there is only one problem, i removed some stuff with xp system builder, those things will no be removed with my .cmd files, and was waiting for me to finish the .cmd in order to remove those extra things myself

Edited by gdogg

only reason for delays are extra work on the registry, and "life"

im sure that something jeremy can relate to

but anyway, dont wait for my project, its being delayed til in oct now.

if anyone knows the cure for a back injury, send it this way

(been two years, and just got alot worse from exercise)

Edited by gdogg

ouch, my cousin has the same and after 1 year now it s not fully healed

he told me that doing some exercises helps, but do it only once a week and not too often, and getting a lot of massages (from his gf oO), avoid martial arts or sports where you have to run a lot as this will only damage it more and more

well anyway, your problem might be different form his^^

and I wonder how that xp will run gdogg, I guess you will only be limited to do some things or is there really that much junk/uneeded entries in the registry oO?

i think its something to do with nervs/sliped something ,

lifting anything is bad, i tried exercise, one day, that required moving my back/sholders, thats why im in this state right now. where sitting, for long, is impossible,

the reistry is full of junk, that makes your very insecure, so removing this stuff helps you a bunch, and in ways you never thought before

like make .scr not execute, and you just stoped one method of executing a virus, the .scr virus type

stop dcom from accessing the internet (svchost.exe , one of them) now, no possible way for get dcom hacked, cause its not accessing the internet, nor does it access, the protocols it used to, ie. tcp ipx, etc,

etc. you see the point here

i believe, if all programs became stand-alone, and depended on nothing in \windows, windows would be a very secure os, that would bring shame to some other OS's , Lindows... since i dont want to cause others to flame me for this, ill use that as the example. since all linux users agree, lindows, is garbage, and insecure anyway , :P

but anyway, you can easily made appz stand-alone, which causes a great amount more security, as no virus can infect anything in \windows, cause its not there, its in \Program Files\Firefox

now you see some ideas i follow, now you can understand, what kind of support from others ill need, app/game support, by sharing what files are needed to make that app/game stand-alone, and not dependant on system files

until i can find out what CS source needs, (in game) not steam, it wont be running.

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys this is not a bump but I am working on a similar project but with windows 2k. I found this was the best thread in nlite ever and cant let it just fade away.

With the project I am working on I am slimming down 2k, getting rid of uneeded services, editing ntoskrnl and explorer to make it look better.

I plan on modernize 2k with gurgelmeyer USP intergrated with nlite and tweaking and slimming with nlite.

But anyway if I dont suceed with my project it will bring up 1 of the best post for a while. It seems like all the greats were working together Nuhi,Jeremy,Clint,Fridge,gdogg.

We all got sidetracked on different projects.

But,,,WOW this was a great thread

:blushing::blushing: been busy with HFSLIP, and haven't really done anything with slimming down the XP registry... it is huge... anyone wanna export their whole thing and send me the keys that need deleting, I'll still write the INF to delete it all :) (not that this is terribly difficult anyway)