Howto: Heavy slimmed down XP WITH functionality

Fridge-RaideR

if your able to make use of what clint posted,

then you'll be right upto date wouldn't you?

anyway, you were always a great help and always will be :D

cause you actually know what your doing

unlike this guy

<--------

I've been busy with college and my girlfriend (our 2-year anniversary was the 11th), so no I haven't been touching nLite, either. ResHacker does help me significantly with DLLs, especially if there's a "Dialog" section in them that shows exactly what in Windows they do, then I can narrow the description of the DLL precisely. I might work on it a bit, but I don't really see the point now since Clint seems to have his XP down to a science... I don't know how much more help I'm going to be.

Congrats to you and your GF! :thumbup

(I wish I could keep mine as long.. )

But isn't it kinda cool to get a grip of what those dll's are doing and triggering what?

This ResHacker has really helped me to more understand what is going on and when they are called upon and so on....at least the ones that has "useralerts" (dialogs).

I have managed to shave off almost 10mb in all of them by just editing out all non used dialogs and languages except english, spanish, german, french and swedish.

But again, as soon as you do a update that concern one of those that particular dll gets replaced and your back on original size......

Actually there is no point in chasing those mb under lets say 150mb, you will not gain any performance except if you are trying something like to get that OS on

a 128mb CF.'

But then again, it's kinda fun and helps us all this here "competitive" dialog we have here about "I got mine down to this and this size with so much running"....it forces us to study behavior and learn (google and so on) about every single component we are

dealing with....

I was at my sisters yesterday and helped my 15 year old nephew (again..) when he got his comp hijacked and I could actually just browse through the system and find those files that didnt belong there.... :blink: ...he was mildly shocked and called me "computer-nerd"....even dissapointed actually..(I used to be quite in to extreme sports and now I have turned in to a geek...hard on a kid that looks up to you.. :} )

Bottom line is, we might be considered wasting our time by doing this...BUT, we WILL learn more about our system than the regular lurker here and subsequently be a more competent computer user.

That said, @ Jeremy - look at it as we are keeping the "spirit" alive and will get others

into this...no matter if we have hit the "bottom" or what we might call it....this is fun and educational...so when your done "GF'ing" please dig in to those dll's with that ResHacker...lots can be done there :)

Amen to that, Clint. :) To bad some of my favorite resource and hex editors aren't working yet on xp 64. I am gonna be getting an amd x2 based system hopefully half way through this coming school semester( once grants come through)

Wayne

I was at my sisters yesterday and helped my 15 year old nephew (again..) when he got his comp hijacked and I could actually just browse through the system and find those files that didnt belong there.... :blink: ...he was mildly shocked and called me "computer-nerd"....even dissapointed actually..(I used to be quite in to extreme sports and now I have turned in to a geek...hard on a kid that looks up to you.. :} )

I recommend you take some time to spend actively with those who look up to you, family is much more important these days than any operating system. 0s and 1s do not compare to the emotions and experiences shared with loved ones.

so when your done "GF'ing" please dig in to those dll's with that ResHacker...lots can be done there :)

Sometime, but definitely not a priority for the time being.

I recommend you take some time to spend actively with those who look up to you, family is much more important these days than any operating system. 0s and 1s do not compare to the emotions and experiences shared with loved ones.

so when your done "GF'ing" please dig in to those dll's with that ResHacker...lots can be done there :)

Sometime, but definitely not a priority for the time being.

Hmmm, well...now that was more of a anecdote of sorts...not a invitation to make remarks about my loved ones... my relations with them I don't need nor want any assistance with.

okay, nice work .... but ...

1. removing that much stuff is okay, but gaining 10 or 20 mb for such a high amount of work ...

2. a lot of stuff doesnt work after removing these files: EFS, administrative tools, dun, and so on ...

i dont think it is worth to kick those dll's out and loose so much usability ... better waste 10 or 20 mb and have more windows on your pc lol

i took fridge's last session.ini and inported 2 nlite... did a few changes (basically enabled a few things i need) and got my iso down to to 175mb approx... but once i add my $OEM$ stuff it goes to 400mb (lol my $OEM$ folder is larger than my I386 folder :lol:)

okay, nice work .... but ...

1. removing that much stuff is okay, but gaining 10 or 20 mb for such a high amount of work ...

2. a lot of stuff doesnt work after removing these files: EFS, administrative tools, dun, and so on ...

i dont think it is worth to kick those dll's out and loose so much usability ... better waste 10 or 20 mb and have more windows on your pc lol

obviously you didn't do it right, or you would have noticed it was a difference of 100MB vs what nlite can do

thx come again :P

i think im going to actually take a look @ bolds guide now, since i've reached my limit with trial and error, since everything i have left, is used by the system all the time, so its pure luck everything i can actually remove now

lol, ive gotten far without looking @ any guides , thats for sure :D

-thx to clint, who was responsible for me getting this far, from his great batch's , scripts and reg files

and giving me a dream of going further

and of coarse fridge-raider, for his huge amount of tweaks, that have done a great deal on my computers performance, plus some extraz i took from his batch files, making me extra clean

Edited by gdogg