Howto: Heavy slimmed down XP WITH functionality

Fridge-RaideR

First of all hi@everyone from a long time long time lurker
This can all be done directly to the registry at install, and if one as I are the only user that would be a good thing in a security perspective...right?

In a security prospective it's not wise, because this means you're admin: it'll be better if, for everyday task, you'll use a normal-user account.

If a vulnerability works with the privileges of the hacked account and there's only admin account, you can understand that someone is in trouble. Many flaws doesn't permit privileges escalation, why do we wanna hurt by ourselves?

Doing this it'll be like going back to the win 9x series, and that IMHO it's not such a good thing :)

Yes, ofcourse in a perfect world...but as gdogg says...I gladly admit that I'm always logged in as admin..but then again..hmmm, :wacko:

lol, i admit it too, i am always loged in as admin

why you might ask?

cause too many things are needed to be loged in as a user, and have an admin account too :P

if you want to secure you IE or EXPLORER from outside treats, even firefox,(and every other program) when running as administrator

google dropmyrights

its easy to use

Edited by gdogg

lol, i admit it too, i am always loged in as admin

why you might ask?

cause too many things are needed to be loged in as a user, and have an admin account too :P

if you want to secure you IE or EXPLORER from outside treats, even firefox,(and every other program) when running as administrator

google dropmyrights

its easy to use

Yeah, something like that...a big red button on desktop that you MUST click to get access to network..and then you loose those rights temporarily.. :)

yeh basically all it does, is makes your run as a user, so in the case with IE, you can only download to my documents folder,

you can also run it to the point, where you cant even get your bookmarks, from not having read rights, rofl, /C and /U are the other ways to run dropmyrights.exe, but really, when you do that, it sucks, lol, i prefer the default

Not bad Fridge, although skimming through your software applications list, I cannot see any programs that rely heavily on Windows components - indeed most of those programs are in my "AppsThatDontNeedToBeReinstalled" folder - several megabytes of well coded programs that run straight from the folder, without countless registry entries.

Gotta love 7-Zip too ;)

James

Thoses are standalones applications, dont need java, vbs, windows registry, sharedll... never have to reinstall them, to get them got to my site...

;)

Not bad Fridge, although skimming through your software applications list, I cannot see any programs that rely heavily on Windows components - indeed most of those programs are in my "AppsThatDontNeedToBeReinstalled" folder - several megabytes of well coded programs that run straight from the folder, without countless registry entries.

Gotta love 7-Zip too ;)

James

Thoses are standalones applications, dont need java, vbs, windows registry, sharedll... never have to reinstall them, to get them got to my site...

;)

here something for your list

http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/firefox.htm , optimised firefox , its faster, and runs from the folder, no registry entries :P

Edited by gdogg

Thank, I use portablefirefox

Gotta love 7-Zip too ;)

James

;)

here something for your list

http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/firefox.htm , optimised firefox , its faster, and runs from the folder, no registry entries :P

my parents returned from holliday few days ago, n I was stayin in there house.. after I helped them unpackin n stuff.. then goin back to my own place around monday.. so will be active from monday on :)

(and there's this thing that if my gf is around for a couple of days, then I'm not spending even 1sec on nlite :P)

Edited by Fridge-RaideR

I've been busy with college and my girlfriend (our 2-year anniversary was the 11th), so no I haven't been touching nLite, either. ResHacker does help me significantly with DLLs, especially if there's a "Dialog" section in them that shows exactly what in Windows they do, then I can narrow the description of the DLL precisely. I might work on it a bit, but I don't really see the point now since Clint seems to have his XP down to a science... I don't know how much more help I'm going to be.