Howto: Heavy slimmed down XP WITH functionality

Fridge-RaideR

i found out where the error is occuring from the firewall software

it resides somewhere in the registry tweaks, im gonna ween out what it might be

since once the registry tweaks are applied, i have not found a software firewall that will run

any idea what tweak would cause outpost pro to complain , thinking that its switched users?

i found what will prevent firewall software from working

;Prevents background services from interacting with users

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows]

"NoInteractiveServices"=dword:00000001

dont apply that tweak, or you will not be using your third party firewalls

thanks guys, i think im going to play around with this now

regtweaks_full.reg is where that will be located

is this tweak

;Boost Foreground and Background Task Priority

"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000026

the same as the one in nlite boost forground task priority?

after cleanup i am currently \windows @ 188MB i think this is mainly due to removing oembios.* , but i also left themes, wmp 9, removed some other stuff with nlite, and added ryanvm update pcks,

extra file in \windows for removal , TASKMAN.EXE, i havn't found a use for it yet

Edited by gdogg

i removed this nls files in my UACD & evrything worked fine except for some errors in my internet Dwnload accelerator.... can any1 point what specfic file(s) causes this..? the fonts isnt showing in this ADD URL window..

c_037.nls 
c_10000.nls
c_10079.nls
c_1026.nls
c_1250.nls
c_1251.nls
c_1253.nls
c_1254.nls
c_1255.nls
c_1256.nls
c_1257.nls
c_20127.nls
c_20261.nls
c_20866.nls
c_20905.nls
c_21866.nls
c_28591.nls
c_28592.nls
c_28593.nls
c_28605.nls
c_500.nls
c_860.nls
c_861.nls
c_863.nls
c_865.nls

Edited by slimzky

i removed this nls files in my UACD & evrything worked fine except for some errors in my internet Dwnload accelerator.... can any1 point what specfic file(s) causes this..? the fonts isnt showing in this ADD URL window..

c_037.nls 
c_10000.nls
c_10079.nls
c_1026.nls
c_1250.nls
c_1251.nls
c_1253.nls
c_1254.nls
c_1255.nls
c_1256.nls
c_1257.nls
c_20127.nls
c_20261.nls
c_20866.nls
c_20905.nls
c_21866.nls
c_28591.nls
c_28592.nls
c_28593.nls
c_28605.nls
c_500.nls
c_860.nls
c_861.nls
c_863.nls
c_865.nls

just throw them all in and then remove them one by one whilst opening the window repetedly..

Hey fridge, what happened?

I throwed you guys a 20mb "install sized reduction" bone (more to it really) and you came up with this thread and proclamated "nice to be back in action"....but where is the "action"..? :hello:

Are you simply just waiting for another bone?

C'mon now...Jeremy has promised to show some action as well...

hehe, ...I hope this will fire you guys up....I sure got fired up coz of the above mentioned (yes, p***ed me off.. ;) )and that did actually produce some progress.....

Edited by Clint

I might as well make use of this thread then...I'm thinking in terms of removing the group policy all together...that would mean no access to user rights.

This can all be done directly to the registry at install, and if one as I are the only user that would be a good thing in a security perspective...right?

What are your opinions in the matter, maybe I'm not thinking straight...?

I might as well make use of this thread then...I'm thinking in terms of removing the group policy all together...that would mean no access to user rights.

This can all be done directly to the registry at install, and if one as I are the only user that would be a good thing in a security perspective...right?

sounds good...I don't really use it anyway.

i would like that alot

First of all hi@everyone from a long time long time lurker

In a security prospective it's not wise, because this means you're admin: it'll be better if, for everyday task, you'll use a normal-user account.

If a vulnerability works with the privileges of the hacked account and there's only admin account, you can understand that someone is in trouble. Many flaws doesn't permit privileges escalation, why do we wanna hurt by ourselves?

Doing this it'll be like going back to the win 9x series, and that IMHO it's not such a good thing :)

Edited by deadhead