Can't Login - Fails To Connect To Domain

war59312

Hey,

Well was running Windows XP Pro. SP2. So then I installed Windows Vista B1 on my second partition. Well it installed fine and took me to the logon screen and when I try to login it says it cant connect to the domain. So whats up with that?

And its the Windows Security screen that shows the error. Something like cant connect to specified domain beacuse it does not exist. The thing is, I never specified a domain.

Never had a problem like this before, ever.

Anyone have any ideas?

And yes I already tried reinstalling. Three times now. :(

Thanks,

Will

Resloved! :thumbup

Edited by war59312

Just performed a fresh install, and when I attempted to join a domain today, got a message about domain controller not being in sync with time, didn't think too much about it, but will post more info when I next will have chance to retry connection.

managed to join domain today, but the login does not give the option to choose between the domain or local computer, so am still logged in to local computer, but am able to view network.

Noticed that group policy for wsus has applied itself for instance, but will not invoke gp for application install.

Another intersting thing I noticed was that it will only search for bluetooth printers in the network search option. Dont know if this has been discussed yet, but was amused by this.

• 2 weeks later...
Well just did a complete uninstall and tired again. And again can not login. Even tried on different partiton on different hard disk.

Anyone have any ideas?

Longshot...But are you using the same machine name for both of the dual boot installs? That will cause a SID conflict that will have both installs fighting over the computer's domain account.

Nope tried totally different one. Thanks for the response though. ;)

You do just mean computer name right when install Vista Beta 1 when you choose drive to install and computer name?

Like winxp is Will and vista is VISTABETA1.

OMG I just remember I forced my router to use a static IP address for my computer. Maybe thats the problem. Hoping so, since I am now reinstalling for the fourth time. :( Wish me luck. :hello:

****, still no luck. Dang it installed in less than 20min. :)

Edited by war59312

• 2 weeks later...

@war59312

Got the same prob as yours. Resolved! Disconnected the RAID volume with two SATAs and installed on a parallel HD. No issues at all. But when installed with connected SATA RAID, installation failed miserably!

Edited by clavicle

@war59312

Got the same prob as yours.  Resolved!  Disconnected the RAID volume with two SATAs and installed on a parallel HD.  No issues at all.  But when installed with connected SATA RAID, installation failed miserably!

Yeah guess that's the problem. Just removed raid card and same error. About to reinstall again with it out to start with.

Either way, I find this stupid as hell, as I've installed at least 20 different OS and never had this problem with my PC. :realmad:

Um just relized something.

Boot tab of msconfig says that both longhorn and longhorn setup parts of boot.ini are invalid. Maybe That has something to do with it?

Well c and f are same pysical hard disk. winxp is on c and vista is on f.

winxp says which is valid:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

vista is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Longhorn" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USENEWLOADER /DETECTHAL

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\$WINDOWS.~BT\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Longhorn Setup" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USENEWLOADER

So I dont get how its wrong. :(

Well I be ****, it worked. :) Sweet. Too bad I lost hard drive in the process but oh well. hehe

**** I love vista!!! ITs sweet. :)

So any guides for this build yet?

Edited by war59312