Problems installing Windows Vista

Paulino

I try to install Windows Vista using DAEMON to mount the ISO everything works great until it reboots. After rebooting it first shows the longhorn startup screen for a few seconds and then I get this blue screen

install.jpg

I have also tried Nero Image and get the same result, I'm trying to install a dual boot with Windows XP Pro SP2. My current Windows is on my SATA drive and therefor the installation files are copied to this drive. Is there a problem installing on SATA (or as in this case from XP that sits on a SATA drive)? It have worked fine with previous Longhorn builds. And also I get the Hal error when trying to start Windows XP afterwards but it copies a new version of Hal automatically and it can then boot. My system is as follows

Abit NF7-S V2.0

Athlon Barthon 2500 Mhz clocked at 3200 Mhz

512 RAM

2 Seagate IDE drives 80/120 GB

2 Seagate SATA 200 GB

Thanks for all answers

Edited by Paulino

Are you running a RAID? ...even if you're installing on IDE, do you have your RAID 'active' when you try to install? I have the same exact problem... Can you boot off DVD for the install and have it recognize your drives or not?

Edited by jabbermacy

No I'm not running a RAID just plain SATA unfortionately I'm out of DVD media so haven't tried booting up from the DVD yet. I'm now trying to install on my other machine to see that there is nothing wrong with the ISO, I'm using the plain MSDN ISO. As of using RAID I have heard others havin'g problems with that. My thoughts are that as the install files are copied to the SATA drive which holds Windows XP and no SATA drivers are installed (The option for installing drivers are grayed out when I try to install Vista) the instal can't find the files once rebooted, sounds logical ?. I have also tried installling to one of my IDE drives same problem then so as for now I have no clue :huh:

No I'm not running a RAID just plain SATA unfortionately I'm out of DVD media so haven't tried booting up from the DVD yet. I'm now trying to install on my other machine to see that there is nothing wrong with the ISO, I'm using the plain MSDN ISO. As of using RAID I have heard others havin'g problems with that. My thoughts are that as the install files are copied to the SATA drive which holds Windows XP and no SATA drivers are installed (The option for installing drivers are grayed out when I try to install Vista) the instal can't find the files once rebooted, sounds logical ?. I have also tried installling to one of my IDE drives same problem then so as for now I have no clue :huh:

If you've tried an IDE drive, then something else is going on. Try removing all non-essential hardware from your system, and disabling anything you're not using in your bios, and give it another run. You may want to try unplugging your SATA drive(s) for grins, too.

If you've tried an IDE drive, then something else is going on.  Try removing all non-essential hardware from your system, and disabling anything you're not using in your bios, and give it another run.  You may want to try unplugging your SATA drive(s) for grins, too.

But althoug I try to install to an IDE drive the setup files is copied to the SATA drive as my Win XP is on that and I wan't a dual Boot and don't wan't to reinstall both op's on IDE drives. Guess I have to go and buy myself some DVD discs so I can boot directly to the instal DVD but think it should work with mounting the ISO also it have worked with previous Longhorn builds but guess they have changed something now?

If you've tried an IDE drive, then something else is going on.  Try removing all non-essential hardware from your system, and disabling anything you're not using in your bios, and give it another run.  You may want to try unplugging your SATA drive(s) for grins, too.

But althoug I try to install to an IDE drive the setup files is copied to the SATA drive as my Win XP is on that and I wan't a dual Boot and don't wan't to reinstall both op's on IDE drives. Guess I have to go and buy myself some DVD discs so I can boot directly to the instal DVD but think it should work with mounting the ISO also it have worked with previous Longhorn builds but guess they have changed something now?

Even the way Vista installs is different now, so yes, it's changed. :)

I have exactly the same problem.

I've tried disabling cacheing in the BIOS and it gets further than what it usually does, but then it just spits out the same error. I use an IDE drive in a laptop.

Theres two partitions, one XP and the other hopefully vista.

I dont think the problem lies in the iso itself.

I burned it on a dvd+r and it boots from it and copies all the files by itself.

When rebooting and run longhorn for the first time to startup and finish the install.

I got the same error.

The bootup logo appears about 5 sec before that.

I think the problem is with the sata drivers (mine is a sil3112).

Vista(longhorn) doesnt have those (very odd cos its used much for onboard cards) so I use a floppy with the latest drivers.

It reconizes all sata drives.

No I can choose a partition. After copying all the files it reboots and get the bsod.

Someone know anyway around this?

Btw this iso I used is the one from msdn 32bit version.

And no I dont have any ide drive in my pc except for de dvd burner.

Greetz VoYaGeRTM

Edited by VoYaGeRTM1977

If I had an nickel for every time I've seen that stop error...

There is a known issue in which you mount the ISO image and run setup.exe from within Windows. Stupid IMHO. But that's another topic. The only way to fix is to boot from a DVD disc.

Edited by raskren

I managed to get it installed but it was the most perculiar way how I did it!

I booted back up into XP and within there I copied all the files from D:\Windows\System (My XP partition) into C:\Windows\System (Vista). I rebooted my pc and it went straight into the installations final steps and was done within the hour.

I didn't get the driver error so it must have been the vista drivers not being compatible.

I managed to get it installed but it was the most perculiar way how I did it!

I booted back up into XP and within there I copied all the files from D:\Windows\System (My XP partition) into C:\Windows\System (Vista). I rebooted my pc and it went straight into the installations final steps and was done within the hour.

I didn't get the driver error so it must have been the vista drivers not being compatible.

That stop error occurs when the system can "see" but cannot access the boot disk. Most often caused by a missing or corrupt driver. By loading your ISO as a virtual drive you probably gave Vista access to a driver that was in the ISO. After the first restart the driver is no longer available and Windows crashes.