why do u guys use such big hdd's ?

1. They just plain dont have good HDDs! Its not any blame on the NTFS.

2. My system needs screaming louder. The faster it runs, the better i like it. ;)

3. I get far more control over my system with NTFS.

4. NTFS is much better, in all ways (including performance), and its what we use for all systems under our care. And I've been working with ntfs over 6 years.

4. You can access your NTFS partitions very well, thru boot-up disks (bartPE, NTFSdos, etc.)

also if they need someone to fix their comp they obviously they dont know alot about how to make ur comp fast and how to keep it clean from viruses,adawre,etc. those things make ur comp slow so thats why theirs is slower than your.

I only have a 30 gigger. And I only bought it not so long ago. Even at that size i've partitioned it to a 12 and 15, one for xp one for vista.

Each is only half full and I can't see it getting any bigger than that. If I want a bigger one i'll buy an external because I ain't forking out 80 quid for an 80 gig 2.5" laptop model. It's a rip off I think.

Recording stuff of the TV quickly eats space. A weekly 30 min show ends up about 180Mb, most series of stuff are like 20 episodes, there's 3.6Gb!

A few shows a week that you want to record, a few seasons later just imagine the size!

Take the Simpsons for example, what's it on like the 16th season? I can only guess that it's about 20-30Gb!

My discs:

500Gb raid, 200 Gb fitted in external caddy, 80 Gb system and applications and there's a 80 and 60 Gb ones left lurking from old computers that don't really have a use just yet. Probably backup could be an idea!

Does put me a 80 Gb short of 1TB :(

...ooh found a 5 year old 10 Gb one, only 70 to go...!!

I remember a friend having a 512 Mb hard drive which you could get Windows 98, Word, Excel and one game at a time on it! If we wanted to play a new one you had to unistall the previous!

I got a 36Gb Raptor, 80Gb Maxtor and 200Gb WD in my main machine. Windows, Program Files, Games and Profiles are on the Raptor. Also the Raptor is used to temp store nlite ISOs as these ISOs are run from there.

The 200GB WD was is a replacement data drive for the 80Gb which was getting very cramped with all my Music, Docs, OS ISOs, Utils and Install files, UACD files and game backups.

The 80Gb is now a scratch disc for the Page File, VMWare harddiscs and a dump for files that I want to deleted but think I might need to keep them for a bit, but don't want them in there orginal folders.

Also packing a 400Gb NAS (DS-101 Diskstation), and a multi-purpose server with 1 x120Gb and 1 x250Gb, both of which have backups of the main machine on. And a test bed with an 80Gb HD, cuz I could not find anything smaller/cheaper.

Whatever I have isn't enough!! I've two 120s, a 160 and just added a 250. I'm thinking of switching to an array of 300s. I keep all current programs and and various OS installations available on the network. I tend to keep both an English version and a German version of OSs like Server 3003 in std, Web and Enterprise, WinXP home and Pro, etc, Mandriva, Ubuntu, yada yada. Then there are the virtual machines of which I normally have six or seven at any given time. Then there are the images for copying, install files for unattended setups and the iso images which are made from them. Pr0n doesn't even enter into it!

Of course, I need my fix of English speaking TV shows like CSI, 24, Numbers, and the like. I usually get the whole season before I back it all up to a DVD.

Nope. I'd fold up and die with just 40GB. My OS and programs take up about 8 GB and the back up image fits nicely on one DVD.

• 1 month later...
@rnielsen151:

3684gigs.........you're the man.

Are you running out of disk space?  LOL

You got all that size, but do you know how to use it?

The HD, that is.

I mean that device with the shiney round things and the head...I give up.

Yes I know how to use it, and the Hard Drive also....lol

Change of config....

I keep all my CD/DVD ISO files on HDD, I hate have stacks of disc laying around.....I mostly virtual drive them to install then unmount. On a mirrored RAID so they are safe and cannot get scratched.

I only keep a few CDs in my office.

1. Unattended WinXP disc

2. Barts PE Utility Disc

3. Server 03 x64 Standard

4. Suse Live DVD

Bigger hdds = more data per area of hdd = more performance from hdd!

And Dirtwarrior you girlfriend is wrong!!! SIZE DOES MATTER!

Sure does, but that goes for both parts...for some reason all focus is on one of them.

..is the bolt to small or is the nut to big? :whistle:

Edited by Clint