Dialup DSL as a Service

Gee

Does anyone know if it is possible to set dial up networking as an NT Service?

Here is the situataion.

There is a XP Pro Machine that is used for ICS. The provider is DSL. The machine is isolated and there is no access to it. Just Remote Desktop.

The problem arises when the machine is updated and rebooted. Once rebooted, it comes to the Welcome screen and no one logs in. Since no one logs in, no one is able to invoke the command to connect to the internet.

Currently, the solution is to use another machine connected to the network that has Outlook running. Outlook is set to check for email every 10 minutes, when Outlook checks for email, it will invoke ICS and complete the connection. But that requires you to wait or someone has to launch a browswer to initiate the connection. Not practical during the weekends as no one is there and the machines are all turned off.

What I want to know, is if there is a way to ivoke the DSL connection by setting it up as a service, this way it will connect automatically when the machine is turned on.

1.) Setup the machine with ICS running to automatically log on?

or

2.) Kill ICS machine and replace with a harware router. Best Solution

1. Not going to work. I have already set the login to not prompt for password. Then add the shortcut to the Startup Menu

Problem is, no one logs in. I need this connection started without logging into Windows.

2. This computer has to be public, so a router will not work, unless it is in the DMZ

I have not used ICS since 2001... So can't help you there?

As for using a router? Most have the ability to map server ports.

I am aware that routers can map ports. But the second problem is the number of users. The router tends to bog down after about 15 users (What do you expect for $20). The processors in cheap routers just can't handle the volume of traffic. That is why they went with ICS.

They have no problems with ICS. The problem is that they are a small company and the administration of the server is done remotely. So once the server gets rebooted. There is no way to get back into the system. Unless I can find a way to launch DSL as an NT Service.