Setting folder permissions

jpatto

This is probably gonna be one of those questions where once i hit "post new topic" ill get the answer myself..........

I have created a folder to store users profiles when they log on. I made this as a share and added administrator with full control and Change permission for the users - thats all

When a user logs on the users folder is created etc etc but i cant access it - i get access is denied ive played around with the permissions but cant figure out how to allow me have access other than replacing the permissions (which is no good)

could someone advise?

Thanks

Thanks chilifrei64

What operating system is this on?
Windows server 2003
How are you setting the user folder?

I created a partition called Users then a folder named Profiles (made them as shares except the Profiles folder was shared as Profiles$)- set permissions as per my 1st post above - went to one of my users set their account profile to \\servername\Users\Profiles$\%username%

logged on as the user - checked the server - it created the folder as the users name but i received access is denied.

What is the users folder? Is it their profile of a personal drive?

Its the folder where the users profile settings are kept :blink:

its a profile that is shown on the C drive of any PC (but users are restricted from sing the C drive) and also mapped against the server

Although i worked it out im curious to know what others do but what i did was i created the users folder myself as a share and it worked - but not sure if this is the approach everyone else woud take....

thanks

What I normally do is create the folder called profiles$ but I share it as full control. Then the profiles are created in the shared directory with the permissions necessary for the user to work.

what did you do that eventually fixed the problem?

I created a folder called Profiles (shared as Profiles$) then rather than letting Windows create the user folder i created that too. As for permissions i had was the Profiles$ share was administrator full access and Domain\GroupNameOfUsers with change access. The users folder was administrator (full access) and the username itself with change access although others may disagree with this (i think)

I followed the instructions mentioned in this link, and the folder re-direction caused some serious chaos with the user profiles.

I faced a similar problem. Here's what I did :

Created a shared folder by the name of Profiles$.

Gave everyone full Share-Level access to the Profiles$ folder

For each user's profile I created a folder manually under Profiles$. On this folder I gave the pertaining user Modify access, and the Admin full-control.

This works for me. However, is there any way of creating a profile folder automatically for each new user, and only assigning the pertaining user with rights to his own profile, and the administrator ? Please do lemme know. For the time-being I have to manually create a profile folder for each new user, with his loginname.

Thanx