internet explorer 7 beta 1 !

Woomera

hmm. APC Power Shute Personal Edition has problem with IE7 b1 - àll keys in Power Shute`s windows not work.

(tested v.1.3.1 and 1.5, after rollback on IE6 SP2 all`s fine)

P.S. also all`s fine after rollback on IE6 with added posts on Live Journal

:( Have you reported this to them?

I'm unsure of your flag, so these links are from the Australia selection. koala_tree.gif

Ask APC

http://jpaa-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/jpaa_en.cfg...fcGFnZT0x&p_li=

Feedback

http://www.apcc.com/support/contact/web_satisf_survey.cfm

APC Customer Satisfaction Survey

The First Credo of Our Company Philosophy: To listen to our customers. Their wants, needs and wishes are our strategic blueprint.

This APC Customer Satisfaction Survey will take less than 5 minutes to complete. Click here for APC's Privacy Policy . Press the ">>" button to continue. Press the "<<" button to move to the previous page. Please do not use the back button that is part of your browser.

**There is nothing in their knowledge base...

==============================================

LiveJournal

Did you post this problem now that you have IE 6 back?

Have you had any problems getting IE6 back? Is your HISTORY OK?

Guy was asking somewhere else that his History was not working too good, going back to ie6. IE7b1 has a problem with History and must have rolled back to 6.

===============================================

Opera is garbage. Slow to load, unstable as heck. Always has, always will be. Same with Mozilla, who like to change the name of their browser every now and then so they can say cr@p like "Mozilla is the most secure!" or "Firefox is the most secure!", until it isn't the most secure and then they change the name.

If IE is such garbage, how come I haven't had it crash in forever, and I can't even remember the last time I got a piece of malware or spyware? Phishing and pharming are DNS and social engineering tricks, so they don't count. Hmm... Maybe I just know how to configure IE ;)

Uhm, Opera is the most secure, customizable and feature-rich browser I've ever used and heard of. Ask Zxian about stability. Run it for a week flawlessly if you want to. Opera has never changed their name as long as I can remember. Opera also was the first browser to be patched against spoofing vulnerabilities afaik.

It doesn't take a genius to configure IE, either. You can either set it to max and not being able to do much downloading, or set it to medium, download stuff and have ActiveX controls abused.

You're missing the main point anyway. Just because you're savvy with it, doesn't mean the other 89.99999% of Windows users who use IE are as well. People should be able to open their browser, do what they want and not be at risk of spyware or hijackers. I haven't received one malicious file in my 2 years or so of using Firefox or Opera.

So as I said, IE is garbage. That's my opinion. I didn't say you weren't entitled to yours.

Anyway, they may all be patched, but the did exist at one time and I am sure there are a slew more waiting to be found. I'm sure of it, especially if 96% of the world used Opera.
Yes, they are all patched, meaning that anyone who uses Opera doesn't need to worry about anything that a IE/FF user does. And yes, I will agree with you that if the Opera userbase grows, more security vulnerabilities will be found (it's inevitable), but I'm sure that the Opera group will be quick to patch them (the longest I've seen a security vulnerability unpatched by Opera is 3 days).
Opera is garbage. Slow to load, unstable as heck. Always has, always will be. Same with Mozilla, who like to change the name of their browser every now and then so they can say cr@p like "Mozilla is the most secure!" or "Firefox is the most secure!", until it isn't the most secure and then they change the name.
I disagree. I've said in other posts that I've run Opera for one week straight - no closing, simply minimizing when not in use. Every day, I've browsed to forums, and used just about every plugin there exists for media (QT, WMP, Flash, java) without any problems. Memory usage stayed pretty constant and only went as high as 110MB when using a hefty Java plugin (playing Runescape :lol:). Ever since I've switched to Opera, I have found zero spyware on my system, something that I couldn't claim with IE (well... Maxthon).
If IE is such garbage, how come I haven't had it crash in forever, and I can't even remember the last time I got a piece of malware or spyware? Phishing and pharming are DNS and social engineering tricks, so they don't count. Hmm... Maybe I just know how to configure IE ;)

I realize that this picture is meant more as a joke than anything else, but it does hold some degree of truth. I don't like the Firefox logo and advertisements, but I use it more to show the vulnerability of an un-prepared IE (see below) compared to other browsers.
I'm a webdeveloper and I can assure you, you don't want to support IE6. IE7 is unlikely to be better either, read the following to find out why.

Get FireFox.

This is no fanboy ranting, but the honest truth:

° FireFox has 21 less critical vulnerabilities, compared to IE6's 84 Highly critical vulnerabilities.

° FireFox will always be safer than IE6 for the simple reason that more people use Internet Explorer, which makes IE the bigger target for hackers.

° FireFox displays pages correctly, as they are coded. IE puts a load of garbage on your screen because it tries to 'interpret' what the webdeveloper wanted to see on his screen. FireFox will display what you code, not some garbled up version of what it thinks you want.

° FireFox is not only safer because it's targetted less, it's also safer because it was written from scratch, unlike IE which was once written, then patched, then patched again, and got some more patches later on... IE is one big steaming pile of patches.

There's always Opera too, and I must say Opera 8 is really fast indeed. Unfortunatly Opera went down the same road as IE: it started copying IE's HTML-display bugs to make pages look more like they look in IE ...

Sorry to say, but that is fanboy ranting. You are bashing IE by saying how much better the competition is without providing any real proof (aside from the link to Secunia).

Let me break it down for you.

I agree with your initial statement that IE7 won't be much better than IE6 in terms of web standards, but that has nothing to do with anything of what you said. It has to do with the fact that Microsoft has said that they want to focus on security and user-interface over web standards for IE7.

As for the security advisories, it's actually surprising that Firefox has as many advisories that it does considering the market share that it holds... 21 advisories for ~7% vs 84 for ~90%. Ever notice how the number of security advisories for Firefox jumped as soon as it was mentioned in the news and the media?

As for proper rendering - all web browsers are interpreters. Anyone who writes programs will understand what I mean by this. The problem with rendering is that the Microsoft rendering engine is slightly (*ahem*) different than the ones used by the rest of the world.

As for being safer because it's written from scratch... you're missing a big point - all the code for Firefox is available to everyone. This means that anyone who knows what they're doing can dig through the code and find the flaws that they want. Your argument here is completely backwards.

Regarding Opera 'copying' IE's display bugs... mind offering some documentation of that? Does it really make Opera bad if it works on more webpages that are improperly coded? As long as it is fully W3C compliant first, I don't really mind that they make it work for those pages that are improperly coded.

To put a final nail in the coffin here, find a spare computer. Install XP-SP2 on it, as well as Spybot S&D 1.4, and SpywareBlaster 3.4. Update both programs and run their immunization features. Now find me a website that will infect the computer with spyware (without user intervention). Unless you go out of your way to find a website in the very depths of cracks.ws or the like, you probably won't get spyware (except for the occasional tracking cookie, but I delete cookies on close anyways). The pop-up blocker in SP2 is pretty good at what its supposed to do and for most people, that's enough.

Now that that's done, to get back on topic - does anyone know if Beta 2 will be open to the public?

that's a laugh. ALL browsers are subject to malware >ALL<. you don't remember when you got a piece of malware because you haven't FOUND any -- i don't care how you configure it. i will admit however that IE is getting better. only took umpteen years and how many billions of patches (slight exaggeration) :) of course it (and windows) still spy on you, just in case you do something "bad" so the local forensics dept. can figure out what you've been up to.

anyway, to each their own. i would hope that one doesn't knock other browsers unless they've tried them though. i used IE for MANY years and it's only recently i made the switch to FF. i breifly tried it once before and i absolutly could not see what the fuss was about. now that i'm more knowledgable and familier with it, there's no way i'd go back. and if i did switch it'd be opera, though i've never used it.

I'm unsure of your flag, so these links are from the Australia selection. koala_tree.gif

**There is nothing in their knowledge base...

==============================================

LiveJournal

Did you post this problem now that you have IE 6 back?

Have you had any problems getting IE6 back?  Is your HISTORY OK? 

Guy was asking somewhere else that his History was not working too good, going back to ie6.  IE7b1 has a problem with History and must have rolled back to 6.

===============================================

About APC (in Attachment) after klick on keys/buttons in programm`s windows the window not switching to another window (with IE7)

About LJ. Hmm, now all is fine with IE7 :)

post-66574-1125516443_thumb.png

anyone know if ie7 has "zones" like previous versions?

FireFox will always be safer than IE6 for the simple reason that more people use Internet Explorer, which makes IE the bigger target for hackers.
from my site:
Ohhh yeah. Have you ever heard this one?

"IE only has so many exploits because it has a 90% market share. If Firefox were that popular (we are told excitedly) then there would be just as many exploits."

To be fair, if you bought into this nonsense, Google a little bit about IE's problems letting things "leak" from the Internet Zone into the Local Machine Zone. Do other browsers allow access to the Local Machine Zone? (Hint: NO). Do other browsers run all of the ActiveX Controls that IE does? (Hint: NO).

zones were the major flaw in ie's previous versions. all of the MICROSOFT security advisories related to ie dealt with trying to keep the internet from crossing into the local zone via the system DLLs. non-ie browsers don't deal in zones. they can't act as activex containers. they don't have system DLLs like WEBVW.DLL or HSHTML.DLL that could allow html buffer overflows, permitting code to execute locally.

(btw, as for people bashing ie... it kind of reminds me of a saying that pops up on slashdot occasionally. if an admin or someone knowledgeable tells you not to do something, it's probably better to stop what you're doing and ask why rather than hitting 'reply' and posting that they're wrong. there is a possibility that they may be telling you from experience, and you are repeating things that "everybody just knows," like the capital of kansas is kansas city. of course it isn't, but it's what a lot of people say. repeating it doesn't make it true, and repeating the Internet Explorer Is A Target Because Of Its Popularity Myth doesn't make ie secure.)

Edited by fdv

fdv is right about the IE bashing, i think and many others would agree, its getting boring and annoying

Has anyone got anything good to say, or when Beta 2 will be out

I have loved the little features the have added in and cant wait for final

The way it handles tabs is great - of course it needs more customizability

But if they give to much customizability then it gets to complicated for people that don't use computers much

I also have Beta Slipstreamed into my latest XP CD and it runs great

"Used nLite Beta 6"

'....or when Beta 2 will be out.'

Vista Beta 2 is scheduled to be feature complete by September 29, 2005. (Maybe)

Vista Beta 2 lockdown mode between October and November 9, 2005. (Maybe)

Vista Beta 2 will ship on December 7, 2005. (Maybe)

Vista contains the Windows Internet Explorer 7 browser, but the XP IE7 browser is a separate, if

parallel software. Beta 1 of both shipped at the same time.

So I guess the best and worst case scenario would be Sep 29 to Dec 7...

But, I'm hoping for tomorrow on the XP version of Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2.

Hope springs eternal, :whistle: and dies a slow and painful death of strangulation.. :wacko:

i searched the forum but found nothin so started one,

anyone downloaded the internet explorer 7 beta?

is it worth downloading or not? anyone using it?

post some information please,

thanks.

i think its worth the donwload, i like it, infact i'm using it right now! its my new favorite browser! 2 THUMS UP :thumbup

If you have problems uninstalling IE7 B1, you may be able to go back to a previous restore point on your computer.

Or try this link for running IE7 B1 and IE 6 together.

http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2.../12/422335.aspx

Or you may be able to reinstall/repair IE 6 from your CD.

http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/ar..._explorer.phtml

There is nothing I can find for the search:

Uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1 and reinstall Internet Explorer 6

*Including from the Microsoft Knowledge Base..::..::..

There is: How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6

And more:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul...h=sup&x=16&y=16

nLite v1.0 beta 6 | Installer | 1.22 MB

http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

nLite is a GUI for permanent Windows component removal by your choice. After removal there is an option to make bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. With nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install doesn't include, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.

*I'm not sure what this exactly means...

What's new:

v1.0 beta 6

general

- new: IE7 Beta 1 direct integration support (xp sp2)

The Forum - at MSFN - no less..

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89

Edited by Press any key

• 4 weeks later...
Infected from what

I've had a hell of alot more problems with firefox than IE

I have NEVER got any virus through ANY browser

I only had the Blaster Worm and Sasser and (I cant remmeber the other name)

Seriously the only people who get infected thru browsers are people that are stupid enough to download virus's or install activex controls (THAT NEED USER INTERACTION - SO ITS NOT IE's FAULT ITS THE USERS - Also many sites have firefox extensions that are bogus as well now)

So you find me proof that Internet Explorer can infect people with no reason given than i'd gladly use the pathetic excuse for a browser firefox - that popularity is draining out anyway not long until they give up on the program anyway - like most others - the only browser that come even close to IE is Opera but its not free

So i dont think you should be telling people not to download it because YOU dont like it ok its your opinion let them find out on their own ok

I say if you want to try BETA softwar eand understand the risks THAT WILL BE FIXED than i say do so at your own free wil

As for the FF vs IE it needs to stop its pathetic and annoying now ok seriously!

I dont think FF popularity is going down...

Even more IE 7 has many FF options..MS Style i guess....

the only browser that come even close to IE is Opera but its not free

Opera is now entirely ad free. It has also been said in many articles that operas market share is rapidly growing and is nearly on level pegging terms with FF. there were over 1 Million downloads in the first 2 days it was made entirely free. I also think that there are many people out there who use opera but have it set to identify as Internet Explorer, thus making it alot harder to actually identify how many people are actually using it.

FF and Opera are both excellent browsers and are far better alternatives to IE. Yes IE does get targeted the most due to the fact that it is shipped with windows. If IE wasnt shipped with windows and was an optional download i can gaurantee that it would be very lucky to even hold 10% market share.

Seriously the only people who get infected thru browsers are people that are stupid enough to download virus's or install activex controls (THAT NEED USER INTERACTION - SO ITS NOT IE's FAULT ITS THE USERS - Also many sites have firefox extensions that are bogus as well now)

I have also had friends who have been using IE get infected by virus's simply by clicking links on webpages, now tell me thats not a big problem.

Also i have tested out IE7 Beta 1 and i must say although the tabbed feature of it is worthwhile the rest of it is a complete disaster, whoever came up with the new design layout should be shot.