internet explorer 7 beta 1 !

Woomera

Using Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1 on Windows x64

Although there is no AMD64 build of Internet Explorer 7 yet available, one can easily run the x86 build in WOW64...

* Extract IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe to a temporary folder.

* Working within' the extracted directory, delete the following:

o update\

o install.ins

o spmsg.dll

o spuninst.exe

o spupdsvc.exe

* Create a blank text file within' the directory and rename it to iexplore.exe.local.

* Move the directory to a location in which you want to store the now standalone version of Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1 (eg. My Documents).

* Execute iexplore.exe.

What a freakin' hassle. IE is garbage and always will be. Opera pwnz. Patched against all known security vulnz. Check secunia security advisories if you don't believe me. I want a secure browser, not s***.

What a freakin' hassle. IE is garbage and always will be. Opera pwnz. Patched against all known security vulnz. Check secunia security advisories if you don't believe me. I want a secure browser, not s***.

Searching Secunia, I found this:

"http://secunia.com/search/?search=opera"

Found: 173 Secunia Security Advisories, displaying 1-25

Anyway, they may all be patched, but the did exist at one time and I am sure there are a slew more waiting to be found. I'm sure of it, especially if 96% of the world used Opera.

Opera is garbage. Slow to load, unstable as heck. Always has, always will be. Same with Mozilla, who like to change the name of their browser every now and then so they can say cr@p like "Mozilla is the most secure!" or "Firefox is the most secure!", until it isn't the most secure and then they change the name.

If IE is such garbage, how come I haven't had it crash in forever, and I can't even remember the last time I got a piece of malware or spyware? Phishing and pharming are DNS and social engineering tricks, so they don't count. Hmm... Maybe I just know how to configure IE ;)

IE 7.0.5112.0 b1

Well I just installed Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1 and IT'S JUST TERRIFIC ! :wub: Don't know if it works..HEY.. you see a car you assume that it

works, right. Trouble is when you ASSUME, you make an a** of YOU and ME !

I love the way it's laid out.

The install file is a Win Cab file about 10meg compressing about 28meg. Takes only about a 1 - 2 min's to install. (Backs up Reg, etc)

Used 'EndItAll' (PCmag online) to close most running programs. Three of the running programs are spyware checkers - WinPatrol, Ad-Aware and MS AntiSpyware beta.

(Don't bother, just accept all Reg changes.)

Having previously downloaded from MS, I didn't have to connect to the Net during installation. There is 1 file and 3 dependents on my HD already. (Gen. validation, etc.)

If you don't have anything watching for spyware you will not get any pop-up warnings of Registry changes. I get three lots.. And I fell for one, and should not have, as I am installing software from a known source. ( ie. Microsoft, albeit under the counter, but from a respectable Net site. )

post-57434-1123272750_thumb.png

Anyway, I must have denied the iFrame.dll, or whatever it's called, and now I'm in the sh*t...

post-57434-1123272456_thumb.png

post-57434-1123272495_thumb.png

Uninstall IE7b1 and start again, ACCEPT ALL REGISTRY CHANGES from all 3 of my AntiSpyware checkers.

post-57434-1123272530_thumb.png

*NO PROBLEMS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My old IE6 toolbar................

post-57434-1123272569_thumb.png

My new IE7b1 toolbar................

post-57434-1123272603_thumb.png

You can even change the DEFAULT search, which is set at 1st to MSN.

post-57434-1123272635_thumb.gif

post-57434-1123272680_thumb.png

I LIKE IT...Now all I have to do is a 56K dial-up and find out if it works or NO.

.::..::.::.::.::.::.::.::..::..::.::.::.::.::.::.::..::..::.::.::.::.::.::.::.

I only say to Microsoft; could you PLEASE let me choose more than one HTML EDITOR? (Notepad) I read my email newsletters offline and

transfer links to my local disk home/start page. I need my WYSIWYG editor to click start from IE. [You can get an extension for Firefox that

lets you choose many and set a default.]

.::..::.::.::.::.::.::.::..::..::.::.::.::.::.::.::..::..::.::.::.::.::.::.::.

Note: The Tools>Phishing Filter is TURNED OFF on install. You may need to turn it on. I don't have any spare money, nor a mobile phone

or credit card. To humanity, I don't exist!

What's Phishing? FRAUD SITE. And that's what it should be named.

**Phishing Filter bottom of browser pops up 1st site you visit - asks do you want to....

*The 1st time you open an additional Tab, you get a Reg change as well. According to my pop-up anti-spyware. Just accept, and tick

remember decision.

*You get another Reg. change when trying Favorites 1st time.

Flexbeta site seems OK. Browser is very fast. Microsoft updates site works well. Says I need a new version of Windows Update. Download.

Lucky I got a 40 Gig HD. It's 443KB - coming down now. Four Tab site currently open. WORKS perfectly. Firefox, tip & tricks and

Graphics.com are open with Flexbeta and MS updates. ALL LOOK GOOD. And fast.

Just a bit of trouble remembering my log-in. Have been using Firefox.

Making TABS available to be position at the bottom of the browser would be good for me. I AM NOT A LAZY SON-OF-A B*TCH!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just starting up after dinner, I notice that the IE Icon that I placed next to Firefox in the 'Quick Launch Toolbar' has moved it's position back

out of sight, letting 'Quick Time Player' move in. Toolbar was 'locked'.

Also, I always drag to maximize the IE windows to full screen, (so I don't have small view) but IE7b1 has started up in the small window.

ie. It hasn't remembered I dragged to maximize. ( not clicked the MAX button.) That's just a Reg key multi item I would think.

Clicking NEW Tab opens blank, not a dupe of your home/start page. So, you need to click the Home button if you are opening multi- pages

from links in your home/start page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IE 7.0.5112.0 b1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**THE 1st NIGHT** AFTER 12.01AM FRIDAY 5th AUGUST, 2005

*Problems I have found*

1. If you open a html page on your local disk, or your local home/start page, STANDARD BUTTONS and LINKS are not ticked on the

TOOLBAR, and NOT VISIBLE. You must enable them. However, if you open any number of NEW TABS both items are checked and visible.

*If you choose to open page as BLANK, then both items are ticked and Toolbar items showing. Same if you use the Default page - msnhome.

2. If you File> Open> Browse for a file on local disk IE 7 b1 opens it in A NEW WINDOW. And leaves the original browser window behind - BLANK. It should be loaded in the current window.

3. The FEEDS button has to be placed on the Toolbar via right click> Customize. A lot of ordinary people probably never customize much at all. So, if you want it to feature; best put it on.

*Not that I know much about it. RSS. I don't see much point.

4. I notice that the IE Icon that I placed next to Firefox in the 'Quick Launch Toolbar' has moved it's position back out of sight, letting Quick Time Player' move in. Toolbar was 'locked'.

**NOTE: Tonight, (night 2) when I started up - the Icon is retaining its correct position. Must have settled in.

5. Also, I always drag to maximize the IE window to full screen, (so I don't have small view) but IE7b1 has started up in the small window.

ie. It hasn't remembered I dragged to maximize. ( not clicked the MAX button.) That's just a Reg key multi item I would think.

* You can Right Click the IE Taskbar Icon select Properties and select RUN: Maximized. But if you click a downloaded page on your desktop or elsewhere, it will open in the small view, and has to be maximized.

6. Clicking NEW Tab opens blank, not a dupe of your home/start page. So, you need to click the Home button if you are opening multi- pages from links in your home/start page.

7. My keep History setting was set to 8 days and these settings were transferred. However, History of pages visited early this morning (after 12.01am Friday have not been kept, although it is keeping local HD pages I visited starting up tonight. (before 12.01am - still Friday)

It's about to go 12.01am Saturday....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like the layout of the browser very much. I think it's near perfect. :thumbup Don't fiddle with it too much.

PLEASE REMEMBER - LESS IS MORE.

*You could do knockout NEW ICONS. Adds double wow factor. Wow to browser, wow to icons..

(The double WOW factor is what to aim for > not the lesser wow factor.)

Personally, I would like, but can live without..

1-1. A HOME action either above the BACK button or below the FORWARD button on the RIGHT CLICK POP UP MENU.

2-2. Clicking on a blank area of the TABS bar a NEW ITEM - Send TABS to bottom. So the whole tabs bar would be at the bottom of the browser.

3-3. PLEASE let me choose more than one HTML EDITOR? (Notepad) I read my email newsletters offline and transfer links to my local disk home/start page. I need my WYSIWYG editor to click start from IE. [You can get an extension for Firefox that lets you choose many and set a default.]

4-4. But what I really, really, really miss from Firefox is the Extension>> InFormEnter

Please, please put this in IE. If this guy is the only one in the world that knows how to code this - hire him. He wouldn't be getting much at Mozzie. [it solves the loss of focus problem, with say - TypeItIn.]

5-5. What's Phishing? FRAUD SITE. And that's what it should be named.

6-6. I was asking for a built in download manager a long time ago. But I have Free Download Manager AND am happy that it's integrated

in IE 7 b1 via the Right Click Menu.

7-7. .::.Uses Microsoft Agent Technology.::. I did a MASS script and saved in to html and loaded it. GOOD TO SEE and hear Peedy again! :rolleyes:

IT WORKS. This has been sadly overlooked for Outlook Express all these years. Taking animated email. Perhaps I just miss MS Movie

Maker. *All you ever get in a standard install of Windows XXXX is Merlin (Sometimes called Wizard) and basics with NO voice engine. He can only THINK bubble and NOT TALK. (I guess that means Active X is ON.)

** Problems.. A. Ofcourse the browser opened with small view. B. NO TOOLBAR ICONS WERE VISIBLE. (See Item 1 at start of this text.)

8-8. I have TICKED in Internet Options> Advanced> Always expand ALT text for images AND Enable Personalized Favorites Menu. But I don't know why.. (It takes about 3 seconds to close this Menu, even if no changes are made. Whereas it only takes 2 seconds to start IE 7.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Machine:

Acer Notebook Extensa 2303LC

Intel Celeron M 340 processor

(1.5 Ghz, 400 Mhz FSB, 512KB L2cache)

15.0" XGA TFT LCD

40 Gig HDD

DVD/CD-RW Combo

512MB Ram (I added 256)

OEM: MS Windows XP SP2 installed

Net: 56K dial up (connect at 44K)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by Press any key

I have been using Firefox from ver. 1 to 6. Got hit by a lot of spyware in IE6. But I do like IE if it comes out alright in the release. My Firefox 1.0.6 is playing up..

Meanwhile it's a bit of fun to test it.

IE 7.0.5112.0 b1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**THE 3rd NIGHT** AFTER 12.01AM FRIDAY 7th AUGUST, 2005

*Problems I have found*

1. The HISTORY which is marked, exactly - "By &Order Visited Today" has lost the links again except

for today. The &Order is supposed to underline O as a Hot Key.

**AND funny thing, I've been mucking around with graphic images and not opened the browser till

now, and the HISTORY lists ONLY .jpg & .gif files. NOW it's saving text messages, including this one

I'm writing in Notepad!! All the icons are IE.

[i was making my Vista wallpaper; winvista_tear_of_the_rose_1024x768.jpg; which is on my screen

now.] It's one of the few plants from my garden that isn't a weed! (It's a bit desperate housewives so I

better do something else!) RECON! - better that a dog with b*lls.

NOTE: I open another .jpg with the browser and History open, and it's adding items. I'll try say,

opening - Desktop.ini - with Notepad.. Yep, it's added. IT'S WATCHING ME! :|

I'll try restarting the computer and see if history is still there.

***NO THEY'RE ALL GONE***

Restarting the computer clear the History.

2. If you get mail in Outlook Express and click on a link, a NEW IE7 pops up. It does NOT open that

clicked link in a Tab on the IE browser you have open. (Please fix this..)

3. The Internet Options form takes 3 seconds to close if you press OK, but the Cancel button only takes

1/2 second. Both, even though no changes were made.

==============================

Browser is ROCK SOLID.

Why are people saying it's buggy....

NOT come across bad formatted pages , yet.

*I'm going to check out a Tom's hardware page online that I downloaded and see if one menu string is

out of place. It looks like it on the download copy.

The download web page AND web page complete work fine. Don't know why it opens with the default

set to web archive, single file, though. (I think I tried that, but can't find it.) What is that anyway?

I usually want to download a web page complete, and only occasionally, web page only.

===============================

oops ! :blink: Bit premature. Browser is ROCK SOLID.

Message #1 Out of memory line 5

Message #2 A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run,

your computer may become unresponsive.

Do you want to abort the script?

Bet your ar*se I do.. :P

I couldn't find the Tom's page so clicked on the downloaded desktop one. New browser opened and

above message.

Message #1 form will not close to let me close browser. 2 browsers in Task

manager. Will close the one mark Tom. Oh well, everything closed. No browsers open.

And one of my dearest little girl dogs is under the desk trying to lick my b*lls. :blushing:

Is it just me or does IE7 look very much like Firefox? :whistle:

If you have a image of both browsers you can almost say that Microsoft used tracing paper for IE7 when deciding on features and layout. the search box next to the address bar is the same layout's more or less the same.... the list goes on!

Is it just me or does IE7 look very much like Firefox? :whistle:

If you have a image of both browsers you can almost say that Microsoft used tracing paper for IE7 when deciding on features and layout.  the search box next to the address bar is the same layout's more or less the same.... the list goes on!

I know when I started using Firefox 1.0.1 I emailed MS and asked them to copy it, not just the tabs - but all of it. Imagine 100,000 other people did too.. Before me.

~~~

IE 7.0.5112.0 b1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**** AFTER 12.01AM Monday 8th AUGUST, 2005

*Problems I have found*

1. I am pretty sure the FULL SCREEN button has turned up on the Toolbar by itself. No, I don't drink. I already drank my share. The only button I placed on the Toolbar was the RSS Feeds. Maybe I pressed F11 once or twice, but that's all. Although I had this on the old browser, so maybe its finally migrated.

2. ---

============================

1-1. Under Tools> Delete Browsing History, could you remove Passwords and place this item directly under on the Menu as.. Delete Passwords. (Above Manage add-ons...)

*The reason for this is I want to keep my Forum and MS Passport log-ins. (And don't even have the Firefox Extension>> InFormEnter.)

2-2. I did save a web archive save (MSFN Forums - internet explorer 7 beta 1 !.mht) and the same for a web page complete. I see now that the archive saves to one file and images are encrypted like a saved email (.eml) would be. The archive is 486K and the web page & folder combined is 352K. So, just under 25% is added to the size of the archive. Given HDD sizes now and in the future I suppose archive is the way to go, in case someone deletes a folder for a web page.

Tip: If someone has "Sorry! Right click save disabled" for images, just save the web page complete. Then look in the saved folder and all the images are there. If they are in sub- folders, then the sub- folders are inside the saved web folder. :)

Don't tell anyone about this..

3-3. I looked at the source of that Tom's Hardware Guide page that threw up that problem for "Line 5" and here is what's there..

Seeing I saved the page, you may have to allow for line 2. Or maybe you're counting from the BODY tag which is line 124.

1<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

2<!-- saved from url=(0051)http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050714/index.html -->

3<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Tom's Hardware Guide Processors: Live Stress Test Rundown: AMD vs. Intel - Rundown Of The Live Stress Test: AMD Vs. Intel</TITLE>

4<META content="Tom's Guides Publishing LLC" name=publisher>

5<META content=en-us name=content-language>

6<META http-equiv=content-type content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1>

7<META content="Tom's Guides Publishing LLC" name=copyright>

8<META content="Computer Hardware Processors" name=page-topic>

9<META content="Tom's Hardware Guide" name=author>

============================

post-57434-1123433441_thumb.jpg

Edited by Press any key