I cannot delete WPA registry subkeys!

heustess

I have 5 subkeys that I cannot delete in the registry. They are all subkeys of

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA]

such as

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\Key-3HFYCVKFXVR6VJM823DM9]

that I somehow got by testing different product keys out of curiosity. I have administrator rights and cannot delete the keys. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
I have 5 subkeys that I cannot delete in the registry. They are all subkeys of

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA]

such as

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\Key-3HFYCVKFXVR6VJM823DM9]

that I somehow got by testing different product keys out of curiosity. I have administrator rights and cannot delete the keys. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here is how to delete the problem you encountered.

In your registry editor, export HKLM\SYSTEM to [windows]\system32\config\system.new as an registry structure file (not as a *.reg file! save as type Registry Hive Files *.*!)

Next, set you cursor in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and load the hive file into lets say 'tmp' now you can delete HKLM\tmp\WPA or you may delete each HKLM\tmp\WPA\KEY-XXXXXXXXX. (Edited: If you using MCE don't delete HKLM\tmp\WPA, it makes your MCE components unusable.)

Next, download recovery console. Here is the link how to install it http://www.theeldergeek.com/recovery_console.htm. Once done, open recovey console at startup, goto [windows]\system32\config, rename the file system.new to system. If you can't rename it try to delete the system first then rename as mentioned. Once done, type exit your system will restart and boot up normally. Go ahead and check your registry and your problem is solved.

This trick was posted on other forums sadly to say the website is no longer exist anymore and can't remember the guy name that kindly solve my problem.

I will not held responsible if anything happen messing around your registry. To tell you this, it's really worked if you follow the procedure above.

Note: Always make a backup first incase you mess up your registry.

Edited by rumbia