I installed a stick of 1gb pc3200 only 512detected

jca2004

Yes it is dual-channel ram. I talked to Dell on the phone about it, and they told me to try and clear the vram and reseat the processor and the ram should work. I cleared the vram, but I haven't tried reseating the processor just because I still won't think it will work.

you canont have dual channel with two different sizes of ram!

if you put them in it just wont run in that mode

how many ram slots are there on the mobo?

if theres only two try swaping the 1gb and 512 stick and see if that works

Your system "should" be able to support that module according to my research. However, there's obviously a problem somewhere. I still think flashing the BIOS is an option. However, I have another thought (albeit a longshot). Is this new memory module single-sided or double-sided? In other words, when you look at the memory module, do the chips all appear on one side of the memory stick, or both? If they all appear on one side of the stick, then your system doesn't support that, and you'll only see 512 from the new stick. Just a thought...

- Ravashaak

P.S. - And many posters here are correct about dual-channel needing to be matched pairs for best results. However, I think they are confusing the issue. Your problem isn't that the memory isn't running in dual-channel mode, your problem is that not all of your installed memory is appearing. Those are two distinctly different issues. Just FYI.

Your system "should" be able to support that module according to my research.  However, there's obviously a problem somewhere.  I still think flashing the BIOS is an option.  However, I have another thought (albeit a longshot).  Is this new memory module single-sided or double-sided?  In other words, when you look at the memory module, do the chips all appear on one side of the memory stick, or both?  If they all appear on one side of the stick, then your system doesn't support that, and you'll only see 512 from the new stick.  Just a thought...

- Ravashaak

P.S. - And many posters here are correct about dual-channel needing to be matched pairs for best results.  However, I think they are confusing the issue.  Your problem isn't that the memory isn't running in dual-channel mode, your problem is that not all of your installed memory is appearing.  Those are two distinctly different issues.  Just FYI.

it's on both sides. It's dual-channel.

Well, I went to Dell.com and downloaded the bios, but it's the same version. It's actually an older version of the bios, I don't think dell has upgraded yet. Maybe if I can find the manufacturer and the version of the bios I can find a recent update for it.

use system check tool tho deteckt the memory modules en report wats memory module are showing like sandra sys

check iff memory is same speed size dont matter mayby different manufacters that somtime can give problems check if mobo can support over 1gb memory wich memory speed mobo support check all that u can even find programs that u burn on floppy en test memory from dos u have elot of option do test it your self or u can go tho nearest store en let them check but what u learn then beter try find it try remove changing there locations try then one elone like once fore the 512 one en once for 1gig on can be one is broke ram is easyeli broke sry for typos not engels

Edited by spidercop

Dual sided is NOT dual channel.

Dual channel means two DIFFERENT memory sticks will work TOGETHER. Your 1GB memory stick is dual sided. Which means that stick of memory is NO GOOD for your computer since your motherboard can only access HALF of that stick.

Thank you, come again. :blink:

Dual sided is NOT dual channel.

Dual channel means two DIFFERENT memory sticks will work TOGETHER. Your 1GB memory stick is dual sided. Which means that stick of memory is NO GOOD for your computer since your motherboard can only access HALF of that stick.

Thank you, come again.  :blink:

I totally agree with your 1st statement, but the 2nd is way off.

I have built enough systems to know the difference.

Here is a Whitepaper on memory and the dual channel concept. Please enjoy the reading.

Here is a quote from it.

For the best dual-channel memory performance on motherboards with the Intel dual-

channel DDR chipsets, you must use identically paired memory modules in DIMM

sockets 0 of channel A and B. Identically paired memory modules must also be used

when populating DIMM sockets 1 of channel A and B. One can, for example, plug in

matching 256MB DIMMs in both DIMM 0 slots, and plug in matching 512MB DIMMs in

both DIMM 1 slots.   

In this context, “matching” modules means:

1. Both modules are the same capacity (e.g. both are 256MB, or 512MB)

2. Both modules are the same speed (e.g. both are PC2700 or PC3200)

3. Both have the same number of chips and module sides (e.g. both have the

same number of chips on the module, and both are either single-sided or

double-sided).

I didn't fully explain myself, what I meant was two different physical DIMMs. I do understand that they have to be matched pairs, I just didn't spell out my sentence properly. Doh! :huh: