I installed a stick of 1gb pc3200 only 512detected

jca2004

Well its not xp then

mabe you have a dud ram stick or your motherboard doesnt support that much or it might not be plugged in all the way

No, I know it's XP. But I think Ill take the 512 out and then see what happens, and then put it back in. It is XP though.

post a screeny of were your geting your ram info from and try it with only the 1gb stick in if im right dell may have found some stupid way to make ram proprietery too!

OK, I found it how much my ram is under my computer properties, i found where it was but it says 0.99gb of ram.

unless you are SURE it's XP which, by default, it shouldn't be, you may want to check and be certain that your MB supports the type of RAM you installed in the configuration you installed it (what size sticks in what slots - how many sides - etc.). you can also run a very thorough test using a utility like memtest+.

i think your integrated video card must still be active tho becuas somethings taking about 10mb of ram try lookin in your bios for something like disable that heres what it would look like if it were still active however if the 9250 has dual moniter support then there will be 3 moniters here:

post-62145-1122696597_thumb.jpg

There should be an option to disable the Dell splash screen and reveal the post statistics (including amount of detected RAM). This will at least tell you if the system itself supports the size of your memory module.

What particular model of dell do you have? If you tell me, I might be able to determine memory support for you.

Less likely, you may need to flash your bios in order to support this memory module. Note: make flashing your BIOS your LAST option!

- Ravashaak

unless you are SURE it's XP which, by default, it shouldn't be, you may want to check and be certain that your MB supports the type of RAM you installed in the configuration you installed it (what size sticks in what slots - how many sides - etc.). you can also run a very thorough test using a utility like memtest+.

I know for a fact it's windows xp. I also know that my mb supports pc3200 ddr memory.

There should be an option to disable the Dell splash screen and reveal the post statistics (including amount of detected RAM).  This will at least tell you if the system itself supports the size of your memory module.

What particular model of dell do you have?  If you tell me, I might be able to determine memory support for you.

Less likely, you may need to flash your bios in order to support this memory module.  Note: make flashing your BIOS your LAST option!

- Ravashaak

I have a dell dimension 3000.

I two ram slots. 1gb on the first, and 512 on the second. But I had bought a stick of 1gb pc3200 400mghz but winxp only detects 512 of it when i should have 1.5 in all.

2 different sizes of ram.

I know for a fact it's windows xp. I also know that my mb supports pc3200 ddr memory.

pc3200 should not be a problem.

I have a dell dimension 3000.

It is a dual channel, correct? Most Mobo's that I am aware of, require the same type and size of ram for dual channel to operate. Matched pairs are sold for this reason. I would consider that the Mobo is seeing the 512 Mb ram, but will not allow the 1Gb ram to operate, as to the incorrect balance, between the channels.