How to install Vista...

Ivanov

I used to do this when my cdrom drive died... extract the iso (or copy it from the cd) to a separate hdd (or partition (FAT ot FAT32 ONLY, very very important!!!)) get a boot floppy, direct the cmd prompt to the root of the copyied cd then to i386, then run winnt.exe or winnt32.exe... can't remember but it is one of them.... i haven't tried that with VISTA (i.e. Longhorn)

I used to do this when my cdrom drive died... extract the iso (or copy it from the cd) to a separate hdd (or partition (FAT ot FAT32 ONLY, very very important!!!)) get a boot floppy, direct the cmd prompt to the root of the copyied cd then to i386, then run winnt.exe or winnt32.exe... can't remember but it is one of them.... i haven't tried that with VISTA (i.e. Longhorn)

That doesn't work with Vista. The Vista setup uses a completely different method than before. First, you cannot run Vista if you extract the ISO. You also can't run from winnt.exe or winnt32.exe since this is the old script-based method (Vista uses imaging).

Haha, well, I just used Nero ImageDrive and mounted the image, and loaded it up .. the only thing I don't like it when you install it on the existing partition it sticks Windows in a Windows.OLD file and all the folders in C:// don't go to that Windows.OLD folder meaning I still have XP crap on there which I didn't want. Is there any way to make a clean install? I tried using the install to create a new partition or delete the current one, but it wouldn't let me delete it probably becuase thats where the .ISO was on.

Anyways, that was my only problem, so if someone could answer the question on how to multiboot all the cds or something that would be great. Also, this beta 1 isn't worth installing .. the interface is crap and it looks ugly. I personally despise it. I uninstalled it and reinstalled Windows XP Pro.