• jv16 PowerTools 2005
    • RegVac
    • Registry Mechanic
    • Registry First AID
    • Registry Healer
    • RegScrubXp
    • TweakNow RegCleaner
    • CCleaner

Hi ... I'm curious to know why you would use a registry cleaner for windows xp in the first place ? Thanks

The previous poster is quite correct. All Windows versions have a horrible problem with leaving garbage all over your system. Not only does this leave the registry bloated, and thus makes your system operate more slowly, but it can cause serious errors in how well your system functions.

As mentioned before, I really like Lexun RegScrubXP. It's an amazing registry cleaner, and it's completely free for personal use. The cleaner for the registry in CCleaner is pretty good, but I've found you have to uncheck the box for cleaning unused file extensions. The reason is that CCleaner assumes that a file association to a program it doesn't recognize as an error, even if the association is correct. As i've said to others, CCleaner is notorious for detecting image associations with the free image viewer Irfanview as being an error. It then "cleans" them and leaves your pictures with no program associated to use or open them.

One way to solve this would be some sort of "white-list" feature that would enable a user to specify custom applications or associations that CCleaner doesn't have the ability to recognize, and force it to ignore them while doing its cleaning.

It seems like registry cleaners are a lot like Anti-Spyware programs.

Every time you run a different one, it will find something the previous one missed.

I've run several registry cleaners, some of which I had to pay for....and NO one program seems to DO IT ALL. So as part of a weekly maintenance routine, I use several.

I set up a new PC yesterday and ran my favorite registry cleaner, then ran a registry defrag (compressor) program and it was able to compress the registry by 13%.

I think that's a factor that many so-called registry cleaners just ignor.

The little (free) program I used is called "NTREGOPT.EXE". Use This Link

Remember, that the registry is one of the first things that load into RAM memory during a boot-up. Keeping it clean and slim and trim should be on everyone's mind.

Give it a whirl!

Cheers,

Andromeda43

Hi .. I been using xp pro when it first came out in 2002 and all I ever do is clear out all my temp files / cookies , defragment the drive , use disk cleanup , ad aware / spybot search N destroy , cwshedder , mru blaster , spyware blaster , nod32 anti virus , sygate firewall , Hosts file program ... With all these programs running I never found the need to use a registry cleaner and my computer is running really smooth , Though I have heard other using registry cleaner and later on having problems with there computer , Now whether this has anything to do with them using a registry cleaner , I don't know but , it has made me wonder

temp files / cookies , defragment the drive , use disk cleanup , ad aware / spybot search N destroy , cwshedder , mru blaster , spyware blaster , nod32 anti virus , sygate firewall , Hosts file program ... With all these programs running I never found the need to use a registry cleaner and my computer is running really smooth

Gladd8tor, you surely use MANY programs :blink:

You know, i installed my XP ssomewhere at the end of 2002... and i have a virus scanner installed recently, and sometimes i do defrag/Disk cleanup. My IE temp folder is some 2.5GB, and temp folder some 0.2GB, all on a seperate partition. My system is also running smooth ;)

Greets

Davor

Edited by Davor

Let me explain first that I delete quite a few files from my XP installation, which should explain the large amount of invalid entries I receive when running any registry cleaner.

After reading through this thread, I put a couple of registry cleaners here mentioned to the test.

I have been using CCleaner for some time now, and find it a wonderful little program. And thanks to the maker for letting us have it for free.

1). CCleaner has been clearing out invalid registry entries right along for me, so I couldn't tell you just how many thousands of invalid registry entries it has found for me before making this comparison.

2). I ran Registry Mechanic, and it found an additional 834 invalid entries on top of what CCLeaner has found over a great period of time.

3). Then I ran RegSupreme, and it found an additional 992 invalid entries on top of those Registry Mechanic found.

4). Then I called out The Big Gun, Ontrack's Registry Fixer. Registry Fixer uncovered an additional 2,959 invalid registry entries on top of all of them.

I have to cast my vote for Ontrack's Registry Fixer.

Edited by Bold_Fortune

:hello:

4).  Then I called out The Big Gun, Ontrack's Registry Fixer.  Registry Fixer uncovered an additional 2,959 invalid registry entries on top of all of them.

I have to cast my vote for Ontrack's Registry Fixer.

If I write a program to wipe out your registry completely, you would vote for me? :P jOke.

As I see it, more doesn't mean better.

Greets

Davor

• 2 weeks later...
:hello:
4).  Then I called out The Big Gun, Ontrack's Registry Fixer.  Registry Fixer uncovered an additional 2,959 invalid registry entries on top of all of them.

Well, on top of deleting hundreds of DLLs and maintaining his forum, he manages to have that messy of a registry... wow. I've never had that many bad regkeys.

I'd go with a recent/updated program that is totally devoted to cleaning the registry. Not CCleaner as it's more of an "all-in-one" which aren't great, but I love it for removing temp/cache.

JV16's PowerTools and RegSupreme Pro are by far the best I've seen out of dozens of regcleaners I've tried. I know I voted before, I just wanted to second it. :hello:

• 2 weeks later...