• jv16 PowerTools 2005
    • RegVac
    • Registry Mechanic
    • Registry First AID
    • Registry Healer
    • RegScrubXp
    • TweakNow RegCleaner
    • CCleaner

I use MS RegClean [which is getting along in years] plus CCleaner and Registry Mechanic.

1. MS RegClean seems to find mostly the same keys constantly - like it's cleaning up known MS bugs all the time.

2. CCleaner is not a fully fledged Reg cleaner, but does a great job, especially getting rid of all the temp junk.

3. Registry Mechanic will solve your problems and provide a backup/restore option. For instance, if you ever downloaded a file to your desktop, then deleted it or moved it, the Reg entry will always be in the Registry.

I say use all three.. :thumbup

I find that Lexun RegScrub works very nicely, and it's completely free for personal use on top of it.

I've tried CCleaner, and it left me with nightmares. I for one, really enjoy using certain open-source and/or freeware applications.

Yet, no matter what settings I tried on CCleaner, it ALWAYS detected file associations for picture files that I had set to irfanview as being an error that it NEEDED to fix. So, even after running CCleaner a number of times, I either had the same 50+ errors if I didn't let it clean the irfanview associations, or no errors if I let it do the clean, but then no working file associations for my picture files like .jpg, .bmp, etc.

Out of commercial products, I like Registry Mechanic the best out of what i've tried. However, much like an Anti-virus or Anti-spyware app, each program is written to detect certain things in certain ways. That is why you will ALWAYS find things that need "cleaned" or "fixed" or "wiped" in your system when you use more than one app to do the same thing.

Part of the problem being that the registry is a horror house full of nonsense, and only Microsoft really knows what some of the things in it are for, or why they are needed. That's why some cleaning/scanning/wiping/repairing programs will appear to function correctly to fix your system, and yet leave you with odd errors that make no sense after they "fix" things.

Incidently, as a bit of PC trivia for you, originally Norton Anti-virus detected Windows 95 iteself as being a virus back when the OS was first released. :whistle::whistle:

Kinda leaves you wondering if Windows has ever actually been an operating system, or if it is simply the worlds most advanced computer virus that just happens to emulate an operating system... :lol::lol:

Reg Supreme Pro,

Seems A Pretty Good registry Cleaner!!!!

:thumbup

finally someone mentioned this! ive been using it for atleast a year, and only had problems when i "deleted" all the stuff it found, instead of "fixing" them. luckly there was a backup :)

as for linux, yes it is better then windows in many ways (no registry, no fragged disks, etc..) but xp is easier to do stuff in :) i use both....

Incidently, as a bit of PC trivia for you, originally Norton Anti-virus detected Windows 95 iteself as being a virus back when the OS was first released. whistling.gif whistling.gif

Kinda leaves you wondering if Windows has ever actually been an operating system, or if it is simply the worlds most advanced computer virus that just happens to emulate an operating system... laugh.gif laugh.gif

thats hilarious! kinda like how ad-aware and spybot used to detect each other as spyware

I have several Registry Cleaning programs that I use at least once a week.

(names deleted)

Each one has its own idea of what constitutes Junk.

As I run each one ,,,, one after another,,, each one finds something that the others missed.

So just like I won't trust my Anti-Spyware security to just one program....I don't trust my Registry to just one program either. I even use a Registry compactor.

I also run a VB-Script to force a new Registry Restore Point every time I reboot my system. So, if I screw something up.....I can always back up a few hours, instead of days.

Cheers,

Andromeda43 B)

the registry in xp is subject to many of the same problems as any other windows OS -- old, usless keys, entries that reference missing files, etc.. much of the time it is poorly written installers that leave behind sometimes hundreds of keys after uninstalling the program.