harddrive beep?!

First I would think that more info on what your system is made up of would be a great deal of help to anyone who has an idea..

Second, check your manual and/or try to pause the pre-boot screen to see if anything shows there?

Edited by kti^

As Kti says more info would be good.

normally pc's boot up and give a little beep to say all is well with the pre check boot up.

Have you recently knocked your pc or something.

I could understand it the other way round????

Perhaps your PC never booted correctly in the first place

:lol:

My PC always makes a beep. But that comes from the PC speaker, not the hard drive. Usually any noise coming from the hard drive should be a deep, low humming (normal) or an unpleasant grinding sound (very bad). But it won't beep.

My PC always makes a beep. But that comes from the PC speaker, not the hard drive. Usually any noise coming from the hard drive should be a deep, low humming (normal) or an unpleasant grinding sound (very bad). But it won't beep.

MY 8GB makes an unplesant grinding noise when loading anything...

@hakeem i do think that ur drive is on its way out.well did u try testing the drive in sum other PC mite be some cable problem also

no its not, its just a normal system beep! the hdd isnt even making the noise and he was jsut guessing that from the outside of the case

@fireware-i have an 8gig hdd in a 7 year old dell that makes grinding noises too but it works fine, its just a crappy hdd

ok now that i read all that i think its a system beep because it occurs when it says SONY(my computer model) and it started happening when i tryed to add another harddrive and it didnt work so i took it out and then it started making that beep?

it didnt do that when i first bought it? so is there a way to remove it

oh and my harddrive is new because my old one crashed so this one is only like 3 months old or so

Edited by hakeem5454

Have you cleared the CMOS of your BIOS? Check your manual. You'll have to move a jumper for about 5-10 seconds, or remove a battery for that time. This will clear all the settings in BIOS (including the system time), but it's usually a good first step to try out.

hard drives dont beep

and if they do what does it mean? mine makes a random piercing peeee sound.

About the system beep: as far as i know its just an indication of ram being started or something, nothing unusual.

@hakeem5454

No, clearing the CMOS will simply set your BIOS back to its original settings. It's actually one of the first things I do when checking for hardware errors.

You'll have to check your manual to see how to clear the CMOS on your system. If you have to remove the battery, just be careful that you don't damage any surrounding components.