solve a mystery

256.jpg

this is a pic of the top left corner of IE7

in common with all versions of IE it uses a 256 colour icon to represent the open page,

this icon is not the link icon or the html/htm page icon but it comes from somewhere else.

can you slove the mystery of IEs 'lost in time' icon ?

where does it come from ?

why does it never change/grow old ?

:blink:

can i/we possibly change it to a better looking one ?

any insights would be much appreciated

:D

(bugged me for years this has)

:blushing:

Edited by miko

Puzzling. I havent managed to know where it does come from but I have managed to change it as you can see below :

clipboard7dq.png

Note that I have changed the one in the address bar as well.

I haven't managed to change the one in the status bar though.

it might be a part of browserui.dll ... I'm looking at all the dll's that come with IE7b1 ...

edit: Looks more like it's stored as a bitmap inside of ieframe.dll ... or at least the mouse-over icons are... I haven't looked through all the bitmaps yet. I guess I should just extract them all...

Edited by jimmsta

Puzzling. I havent managed to know where it does come from but I have managed to change it as you can see below :

clipboard7dq.png

Note that I have changed the one in the address bar as well.

I haven't managed to change the one in the status bar though.

B)

how did you change it ?

I have changed it in the shellIconcache with the help of WorkSoft Shell Icon Cache Viewer. Changes remain for as long as the ShellIconCache is not rebuilt.

I still don't know where it does come from. The icon is present in iexplore.exe (twice), in mshtml.dll and in shdocvw.dll but does not seem to come from any of them. I use IE 5.5 SP2.

Edited by eidenk

Surely if IE7 is in the beta stages, someone can suggest modifying the icon to Microsoft themselves :D If IE7 is to deliver competitive changes and rival the likes of more recent browsers such as Firefox, surely someone can manage to replace one icon. If they cant, I hope we can look forward to seeing it again in the new version of Windows as well :P

Have you checked to see if this icon is the same in XPise? I dont use XPise myself at the moment, but if the icon was changed there, you should be able to find out how from the creators.

XPise btw is generally an XP face lift, focusing on icons and graphical improvements. It can be found here: http://xpero.msfn.org/

Edited by mendipjohn

I don't care if they replace it with a steaming pile as long as they fix CSS "Hover" and "Position: fixed"

Please tell me they are. gotta dl and try.

Edited by dman