XP repair utilities

D.Arbib

For a few years I have relied on Registry Mechanic and Norton System Works to sort out 2 drives with XPpro/SP2, but I thought it worthwhille to look at other utilities.

Error Doctor found 1. 8 Active X com errors

2. 2 Device diriver errors

3. 2 Windows Start-up errors

4. 20 Windows short-cut errors

PC Bug Doctor found 1. 11 Invalid CLSID

2. 20 Missing Short-cuts

PC onPoint found 1. 51 Registry scan errors

2. 5 Invalid Short-cuts

These are sufficiently different and before paying for one or other, I really would appreciate feedback

Edited by D.Arbib

Uhm, most of that is simply common maintenance stuff. Just use a registry cleaner. Invalid shortcuts happen all the time when you create or download files and delete them. Entries still remain in the Recent Documents and average users don't know that they can tweak Windows to simply ignore these trivial "errors". As for device driver errors, that's a bit more complicated. Go to Device Manager and if anything has a ? or ! next to it, you should probably reinstall or update the drivers for it.

If you're willing to spend money on a program, use JV16 PowerTools. It's one of the best maintenance programs out there that gets right to the point. No fancy GUIs to impress newbies to think they have "da bomb" software, but honest program.

Edited by Jeremy

@Jeremy

I agree with you here - it's a great piece of software ...

However - if you only need the reg. cleaner part of it - Regsupreme Pro of the same company is probably even better than jv16.

@D.Arbib

You can try both free for one month - just go to www.macecraft.com and download it :)