Instaling 5112 on Raid

Neos

I got the windows vista beta today from msdn but I can't seem to find instructions on how to install on raid. I've try multiple setups, first I tried to install from my windows install but that failed, after that I tried to install directly from boot dvd, but that also failed is there isn't such a thing as (press F6 to install storage drivers). So now I'm lost, how do I install this beta on a raid disk.

The readme said this:

When using the Load driver option during Setup, the following restrictions

apply:

* If you must load more than one storage driver during Setup by clicking Load

driver, only select one driver at a time. To load more than one driver, add

the first driver and click Next, then repeat the Load driver option for each

additional driver.

* In this release of "Longhorn" versions of Windows, you will be unable to

install mass storage drivers by using the Load driver option on computers with

less than 256 MB of memory. To work around this problem, add the additional

drivers to the Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) before running

Setup. Refer to the Windows Automated Installation Kit for more details about

adding drivers to Windows PE.

* In "Longhorn" versions of Windows, Unattended Setup does not support

additional drivers. If you must add drivers that are not supplied by

"Longhorn" versions of Windows you must perform an attended (interactive)

setup.

I am yet to install it but from what i have seen on a few screenshots, there is an option to "Load Drivers"

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcas...98-clean-08.jpg

Is this option available to you?

No when I do the setup from windows that option is greyed out, and when I try to do a install from dvd it says that i could not get any information about my disks (i can't get to that page)

The only solution's of what i could think was to

* A - Install from windows then manual add the raid driver to the pre install interface through windows xp.

* B - Extract boot.wim and add the raid drivers to the package, then rebuild and boot from dvd.

I'm using the HighPoint raid controller, HPT374, but, not in raid, in ATA mode........... but

still a bunch of problems, keeps giving the main drive the letter H: not C:, went ahead

and installed that way just to check it out....I've got an extra hdd so I think this weekend

I'll remove all those removable drives and use ide to see what happens.......

BD B)

I've gotten everything to work but Raid (I actually had to throw an IDE drive into the system for something to install onto).

My system has 4 Sata drives, 2 of which that are striped. While I can get them to be recognized (the striped drives), for some reason, they won't show up in disk manager.

vista.png

I think raid support is there, somewhere. If I install the nVidia drivers, it actually stops the driver install, citing that the user stopped it (which, of course, I didn't).

• 2 weeks later...
I am yet to install it but from what i have seen on a few screenshots, there is an option to "Load Drivers"

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcas...98-clean-08.jpg

Is this option available to you?

No when I do the setup from windows that option is greyed out, and when I try to do a install from dvd it says that i could not get any information about my disks (i can't get to that page)

The Vista does not have a upgrade option. So, if you start the Vista in Windows, it will try to load the Vista with the "Load Drivers" greyed out. Also, it won't upgrade your Windows, but rather create a sub-directy called Windows.old and put all the old files in the Windows, Program Files and Document and Setting directories in the Windows.old directory. Basically, no upgrade but a new install with all the old stuff still remianing.

Install the Vista from a bootable disk. You will find that it does not show up any SATA RAID drives, but the "Load Drivers" is avaible now (not greyed out). Load your drivers and you will see your SATA RAID Drives. Install on seperate drive thus keeping your old Windows, thus having dual operating systems.

Hope this help. All the Silicon Valley SATA drivers are available on the net. If you still can't find them, then let me know and I will upload them for you.

I was having a similar problem. In order to install the raid controller drivers, you need to create a new driver floppy disk with the .cat, .ini, .inf, and .sys driver files. DON'T include a file called txtsetup.oem because this is why Windows Vista setup does not load the drivers for the raid controller. Setup should now continue normally.