Automatic update after service pack?

Hello everybody,

I was thinking of installing the service-pack on my computer, after re-installation of Win 98 SE on it. My questions:

Will the automatic-update-function of windows 98 SE and ofice still work after the installation of the service-pack, does the automatic update get the point, that there are already updates?

Or will it be better to only do the automatic update because the service pack does not add much more to it?

Thanks already for some short reply!

klaus

Will the automatic-update-function of windows 98 SE and ofice still work after the installation of the service-pack, does the automatic update get the point, that there are already updates?
Windows update will work and will recognize all updates installed by SE SP, so only updates for other components like IE will be offered.
Or will it be better to only do the automatic update because the service pack does not add much more to it?

The SE SP adds more than 100 fixes that are not available thru Windows Update.

Petr

Fortunetly Gape has done an awesome job of keeping the Win98SE SP as Microsoft native as possible. Since he hasn't tried to bastartize it, it plays very well in Microfsoft's eyes.

I've been posting now and then shooting down any comments where people try to taint the SP with suggestions of 3rd party add-ins, app replacements or hacks. Although a couple 3rd party solutions aren't a bad idea such as the one that fixes defragging on larger drives.

Anyways, Gape has done such a good job of keeping the Win98 SP so pure, in my eyes I see it as a true Windows service pack (all the DLLs, EXEs were written by Microsoft) it just so happens Gape bundled them all together in an installer. The fact that Gape had to bundle it, vs Microsoft doing it is only a technicality.

Obviously the installed is gone once it's job is done. So as I said above, as far as I'm concerned, when Win98SE SP is applied, the system is still 100% pure Microsoft fixes. If it was up to me, I'd deploy across an entire company.

Actually I work at a non-for-profit that has almost a hundred Win98 boxes deployed with no plans for an upgrade and I have been trying to stand on a soap box to get the SP applied to end users but since I don't work in the networking, helpdesk or PC deployement groups... it's been a very difficult process. If I ever do succede I'll share the story on the forum here to prove to the world this is a solid SP that can be trusted.

:thumbup here here. i agree true microsoft dlls etc. and no filler,once u add too many cosmedic changes .average home users get scare i mean people who just use a pc and no little about the inside of windows. as far as 100 pcs using windows 98 i think that great because if it does the job why upgrade the cost factor. gapes i dont no whats left to do to sp2 but keep up the great work.

I've been posting now and then shooting down any comments where people try to taint the SP with suggestions of 3rd party add-ins, app replacements or hacks.

100% agreement here!

While 3rd party add-ins can be great, there's no reason why those can't be part of a separate package and excluded from 98 service packs.