UnInstalled SATA, How2Fix Win

This probably isnt what you wanted to hear, but I will tell you any way. I restored a win2k ghost image that didnt have S-ATA drivers, and proceeded to boot it from a S-ATA drive conntected to a sil3112a controller. All that happened was it booted up and once it got to the desktop, it immediately asked for a driver for the sil3112a adapter. I actually was expecting it not to boot, so it was a surprise when it did.

thank you, and well, at least that's something. but unfortunately, the last known good configuration doesn't work.

Can't boot into safe mode

Can't seem to find a recovery console

When i asked about the asr disk, oh, I used that for something else

I'm thinking, I should be able to reinstall winxp, and then import their old profile.

Any thoughts?

thank you, and well, at least that's something.  but unfortunately, the last known good configuration doesn't work.

Can't boot into safe mode

Can't seem to find a recovery console

When i asked about the asr disk, oh, I used that for something else

I'm thinking, I should be able to reinstall winxp, and then import their old profile.

Any thoughts?

Shouldn't be a problem, just install XP over your current install :)

I'm just thinking about reinstalling all the software (searching for new drivers,  what was that password again?)

I'm just hopping these two are correct

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313055/

Reinstalling your software won't be an issue, all programs will still be installed.

Passwords might be a problem if you don't remember them, but just what passwords are you thinking about ?

As for drivers, all of your old *.inf files should reside in the c:\windows\inf folder, the only files that will be overwritten are those native on the windows cd.

Great, actually, I just found out the system is up and running, but they didn't press 'R' when they went to reInstall; they said they wanted their computer back tonight. So now they say their software is missing.

I told them they might be able to reInstall, but let me check a few details.

Crap, next time I'll just tell them to wait until the morning. I'm going over now, should be there in 30 minutes.

Well, some of the stuff seems to be working, but a large majority isn't.

Anyone have thoughts about Outlook Express?

Well did they format the disk when they reinstalled XP, because if they did I'm guessing that all data concerning OE is lost.

What stuff is working, and what was it they did to get the system up and running ?

sorry for the delay, really long delay.

No they didn't reformat, they just reinstalled windows into the same Windows directroy.

Unfortunately, the progfile\common was wiped clean, so lots of stuff has been lost.

As of olx, i can find the dbx and wab files, but they had different identities, and I'm not quite sure how to import this stuff ~ it's not outlook 9x/2k+x.

I have 4 entries in

docs n settings\username\local settings\app data\identities

I'm pretty sure two of them were are all thier files and folders.

Just don't know

PS: I'm also working on ZoneAlarm

I think I would just import all .dbx files that seem to contain relevant information.

Did they have more than one useraccount or is it a single user setup?

But as long as you have the files I would just try my way forward, you can always delete accounts in OE if it gets f***ed up :)

thank you again for all your help, it is really appreciated. Also, i needed a little venting.

I was surpizingly able to have quite a few applications reload. However, pressing the 'R' for repair is very important.

Also, this time, i'm going to set up a script to install the recovery console the 3rd tuesday of everymonth. Also, i increased their system restore size.

What a pain. There are a few conflicts with drivers. There were the drivers I provided with the unit, and then there are the drivers that are installed. I'm slowly getting everything back.

ho hum, ho hum. I think they will wake up in a few hours. Oh ya, what brought this all on? They bought an iPod that didn't quite work.

Man, I hate apple. Now I gotta figure out how import their old itunes and security IDs.