Hard Drive Upgrade

While I'm no stranger to fdisking,formating and partitioning I am about to upgrade my hard disk from a seagate 30 gig ata 66 to an 80 gig western digital,and have seatools installed on the 30 gig.I never removed the tools form my old win98 op sys that was on there(XP there now).When I boot the computer I get the seatools screen and the usual options for booting from their emergency floppy.I don't think the floppy would work anyway for XP.I believe the tools are on a hidden partition(not sure yet).My questions are; can I copy everything but that partition with the tools on it and will it boot on the western digital?can I copy everything including the tools and will the system boot?I'm planning on using Drive Copy for the transfer.

I am not sure about Drive Copy - is that a disk imaging prog? I have made drive image copies from smaller to larger drives using Ghost and there was no trouble at all booting to the new disk when complete. If it is not a drive image app, then you will end up with problems.

LS_Dragon

yeah zipp, so long as seatools or whatever it is, is on its own partition then fine, just use ghost and move the drive over.

install partition magic 8 and you will be able to see instantly if theres another partition on your drive, hidden or not.

I am not sure about Drive Copy - is that a disk imaging prog?  I have made drive image copies from smaller to larger drives using Ghost and there was no trouble at all booting to the new disk when complete.  If it is not a drive image app, then you will end up with problems.

LS_Dragon

Hi LS,Drive Copy 4.0 is a Dos utility for copying one hard drive to another.Drive Image is an imaging program like ghost.I don't have ghost,so I will use Drive Copy to transfer to my new drive,and then Partition Magic to set my partitions,and then I'll make an image for backup on one of the partitions with Drive Image.

yeah zipp, so long as seatools or whatever it is, is on its own partition then fine, just use ghost and move the drive over.

install partition magic 8 and you will be able to see instantly if theres another partition on your drive, hidden or not.

Hi FthrJack,thanks,I ran Partition Magic and it is a hidden partition of 8mb in size. Seatools(seagates drive swap utility),like Max Blast