Quicklaunch Tutorial:

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it too, it works fine for me, no delay when I copy it to another pc an disconnect it from my network.

I wanted to try the shortcut.exe method, but that one is to hard for me. (Or I am to tired) I someone has usefull hints about this .exe method they are welcome. Dunno if there is a thread about that on this forum.

But thanks anyway, it works just fine for me. (but maybe there is a possibility that it will not work on certain systems)

I also wanted to mention, that I tried to test the regtweak in windows. So I disabled the quicklaunch and removed the icons in the specified folder, then I moved the icons I wanted into this folder and aplied the regtweak. Nothing happened. I tried it in VM ware (so it starts in the install) And yup, it worked just fine. I dunno why the reg can't do it afther the install, but I know it works in an install. :whistle:

Greetz B)

Edited by jonathan_314

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm.... Autoit Script to enable Quicklaunch, works with XP SP2 and is not machine dependent :thumbup

Send("{LWIN}")

Send("{TAB}")

Send("!{Enter}")

ControlClick("Taskbar and Start Menu Properties", "Show &Quick Launch", "Button5")

ControlClick("Taskbar and Start Menu Properties", "OK", "Button11")

I also wanted to mention, that I tried to test the regtweak in windows.
1st Post
You will not see them till it reboots after Cleanup.cmd.
or Try a Reboot first and it will work.

Thats why I run it in Cleanup.cmd.

If you want to do it without reboot requires writing to also your user profile in Reg and getting it to refresh. I believe in 98 you could do a reg refresh but have lost that code and don't think it worked with later versions anyways.

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 2 weeks later...

Two precisions to go further, sorted out from Felix' guide (see that post earlier in this thread):

1 - if you need some other specific features in your task bar, such as autohide, you also need the following key:

{HKCU}\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

In regedit, it should be just below the ...\Explorer\Streams\.. key used in this method.

If you don't have it after having prepared the task bar the way you want, you probably don't need it.

I am not sure if you need it for a 2 lines taskbar (...\Explorer\Streams\Desktop should be enough).

- I did not find necessary the other values used by Felix in ...\Explorer\Streams\Desktop (Default taskbar, etc.). A comment, Felix ?

And of course everybody should use its own data for the values.

2 - [Edited] Importing (REGEDIT /S quicklaunch.reg) into HKCU at T-12 (cmdlines.txt) will set the Taskbar this way for ALL users, through the HKU/.Default hive and the Default User Profile.

If you want to import it only to your profile (the ONE you first log in to), Import the settings from RunOnceEx (to HKCU, of course).

Importing won't work anymore later, after Explorer is launched & loads the taskbar settings from your hive (HKCurrent_User).

Whatever change you make to these settings (I am talking specifically of those taskbar settings) in HKCU while Explorer is running will be overwritten by explorer on logoff.

Edited by Djé

• 2 weeks later...

If you're interesed, here is the metod I use to customize the QuickLaunch shortcuts.

I used InnoSetup to modify some programs for my cd, and I noticed that it can create shortcuts wherever you want. So I created my shortcuts in the [icons] section. Take a look (this is just an example):

[icons]Name: {userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Nero Burning ROM; Filename: {pf}\Ahead\Nero\nero.exe; Flags: createonlyiffileexists runmaximized

Name: {userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Virtual PC; Filename: {pf}\Connectix\Connectix Virtual PC\Virtual PC.exe; Flags: createonlyiffileexists

Name: {userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\CDImage GUI; Filename: {pf}\Disk ProUtilities\cdimagegui.exe; Flags: createonlyiffileexists

Name: {userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Virtual Dub; Filename: {pf}\DVD Workshop\virtualdub\VirtualDub.exe; Flags: createonlyiffileexists

Name: {userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\BSPlayer; Filename: {pf}\Webteh\BSplayer\bsplayer.exe; Flags: createonlyiffileexists

Name: {userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\WhereIsIt; Filename: {pf}\WhereIsIt\WhereIsIt.exe; Flags: createonlyiffileexists

Name: {userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Winamp; Filename: {pf}\Winamp\winamp.exe; Flags: createonlyiffileexists

Name: {userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Codec Dashboard; Filename: {pf}\Wolf2006 ProCoDecs Pack\DashBoard\DashBoard.exe; Flags: createonlyiffileexists

Name: {userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Total Commander; Filename: C:\Total Commander\totalcmd.exe; Flags: createonlyiffileexists

You don't have to put any files in this installer, and the rest of the script can be easy created with the wizard

It's cool that Inno Setup can verify if a certain file exists, and, if not, the shortcut to that file isn't created (using the flag createonlyiffileexists). The exe created can be run in RunOnceEx (after all the programs are installed), with the switch VERYSILENT.

Hmm.... Autoit Script to enable Quicklaunch, works with XP SP2 and is not machine dependent :thumbup
Send("{LWIN}")

Send("{TAB}")

Send("!{Enter}")

ControlClick("Taskbar and Start Menu Properties", "Show &Quick Launch", "Button5")

Works fine for the english version but try it this way:

Send("{LWIN}")
Send("{TAB}")
Send("!{ENTER}")
ControlClick("", "", "Button5")
Send("{ENTER}")

Haven't been able to test this on a non-english version yet, but atleast it works on the english version...

• 1 year later...
Send("{LWIN}")

Send("{TAB}")

Send("!{Enter}")

I needed to add:

Send("{LWIN}")

Send("{TAB}")

Send("!{Enter}")

WinWait("Taskbar and Start Menu Properties", "", 1)

Ok, I did try this from an au3. Maybe the line isn't needed when you make the exe. Still it can't hurt for a cpu that is busy during install.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Trouble is guys here is some screen shots (only whats needed to be set)

its not a matter of how big the quicklaunch bar is but a default one like this that can be set in hundreds of systems if needed

clip1 to clip5 is what we normally do

clip1 is nobar at all

clip2 is properties to turn it on

clip3 is now turned on

clip4 is the default icons which are crap (should be like in clip5)

clip5 is how a standard setup should be

so can someone do it

I have done so many edits the registry has failed 3x times and I had to reinstall windows 2x

anyway thats all I can say I am stumped

thanks

post-157412-1198404365_thumb.jpg

post-157412-1198404377_thumb.jpg

post-157412-1198404385_thumb.jpg

post-157412-1198404500_thumb.jpg

post-157412-1198404509_thumb.jpg

best way is, arrange the quicklaunch with thatever links you want there and export the below regs and apply during install. This is one of very very few successful way which works everytime.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2]

• 1 month later...

exactly rajesh.kumar

but StuckRects2 gets something else I'd have to study

Like the first post of this topic I show that, forget the links to other machines cause if its yours or even your network there will be no problems with XP cause XP will resolve very quick. Using in Vista SP1 here even.

icemanx

msg me with what you want to do if you still need help.